Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best screwdrivers?

Best screwdrivers?

I would like to buy just a couple new screwdrivers. It seems that whatever I have bought in the past, they have always had one issue or another. Tip gripping strength, hand gripping strength, comfort, tip deterioration, etc.

If I jyst wanted a few basic but awesome screwdrivers that excelled in all the above aspects, what should I buy?

Links would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

When it comes to bit engagement in slotted screws, I've had the best luck with a Magna-Tip gunsmithing set from Brownell's. I have enough bits to fit virtually any screw I would typically find in the woodworking universe. The handle is a pretty standard, fluted, thermoplastic affair that offers enough comfort and grip for most jobs. My set came with two handle sizes: a standard length and a stubby. Extensions are available.

That said, I just bought a new set of slot screwdrivers to try out. It's a more traditional design from another maker of gunsmithing tools, Grace USA but these are designed for wood screws. Beefy, non-rolling wood handles, square shafts and rather than being hollow ground, the tips are machined parallel. Less than $70 for a set of seven on Amazon. Search for SDWS7 in Sports & Outdoors. I have given them a real workout yet but they seem promising.

ETA: Sorry, I missed the "just a couple" part but I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.
    Last edited by Brett Luna; 06-13-2016 at 4:09 PM.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    So many answers based on intended use. These from Lee Valley have a lifetime guarantee as long as they are used for screwing screws and not chopping mortises. The Grace drivers that Brett mentions are long time favorites but I keep mine for times I am not likely to drop then, gouge them or otherwise accidentally abuse them. For my square drive work I use this Wera set and love them for the comfortable grip under high torque situations.

There are all sorts of drivers with special features like diamond grit tips, hardened tips, special handles and so forth but, I find these lay in the drawer more than anything else. Once you have a few drivers that meet your different needs they tend to get used all the time. This doesn't mean that I don't have ratcheting drivers, super long drivers and so forth; I do. They only come out for their intended purpose which is just what they are made for. I have a dozen (large, medium,small and tiny in slot and phillips as well as the four Wera square drive) that meet 99% of my needs and specialty ones for those other times.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-13-2016 at 4:30 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have some Klein screwdrivers from over 30 years ago that are still fantastic and have outlived many Crapsman and Husky. I replaced one recently and it too seems like it will last a long time. I also have a Wera Set and some Wiha and both of those are great.

Blog Entries
    When I was working, all the maintenance people used Klein.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Check out a company named Witte you may have to order them but their lower end sets sell for about $60 and worth more than every penny.

Another vote for Klein. I think I remember an electrician buddy lusting over Knipex, bit that might have just been a pair of dikes.

I prefer parallel tips, and would’ve gone w/ Brownells if I could’ve found a nicely organized web-site listing all the sizes. Might’ve bought them if I’d found the 75th anniversary handle sooner.

Considered Chapman, but have always thought their tip shapes were kind of clunky (but well-machined and hardened).

Went w/ Felo, since they were the only company listing parallel tip slotted screwdrivers in Imperial sizes I was able to grok. Paired them w/ an Elemen’tary No. 1 Screwdriver (Made in England, but w/ a German (Wiha) bit holder), and a Felo T-handle.

Tried the Lee Valley parallel tip perfect handle screwdrivers, but was disappointed w/ the fit and finish and wasn’t in the mood to re-handle them.

Been trying to justify a set of Nepros screwdrivers, which would fit in well w/ some nice tools my Father bought while stationed in Japan, but they’re just too pricey.

The other option would be a set of European cabinet screwdrivers.

Very pleased w/ the Elemen’tary though — just need to sand the handle down to fit my hand a bit better, then stain it black and re-finish to match my Starrett 559A and B.

I recently purchased a set of "Wright Tool" screwdrivers and have been very pleased with them. The handles are very comfortable and larger than typical for the blade size. I've had issues w/ my hands due to Carpal tunnel and arthritic conditions. Adding broken bones has caused me to pursue a comfortable, O/S handle. The blades seem very grippy for their purpose. BTW, they're made in the USA. The Wright Tool #9476, 10-Pc. Screwdriver Set I purchased from Royal Supply was right around $70. I've owned Wright Tools since 1973 and they've earned my confidence.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 06-13-2016 at 8:48 PM.

I've got 3 sets of the Grace Gunsmithing screwdrivers from Lee Valley (square drive, phillips, slot). Had the a couple years now and like them a lot. Very glad I bought them.
    Fred

7-piece set, made in Germany, $32 from Chad's Tool box: http://chadstoolbox.com/felo-16054-7...set-ppc-handle

There's also the 5-piece wood-handle version of the same which I like a lot. Can't beat the price for $22: http://chadstoolbox.com/felo-22155-5...rewdriver-set/

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I'm a fan of Wiha screwdrivers. Good quality, comfortable to use and doesn't break the bank.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-30297-12...Finish+Handles
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    I recently purchased a set of "Wright Tool" screwdrivers and have been very pleased with them. The handles are very comfortable and larger than typical for the blade size. I've had issues w/ my hands due to Carpal tunnel and arthritic conditions. Adding broken bones has caused me to pursue a comfortable, O/S handle. The blades seem very grippy for their purpose. BTW, they're made in the USA. The Wright Tool #9476, 10-Pc. Screwdriver Set I purchased from Royal Supply was right around $70. I've owned Wright Tools since 1973 and they've earned my confidence.
    Mac
    Plus 1 on them and they are made just down the road from us. I have a set and they are my go to tools

Wiha or Klein. I have/use both. The Wiha are a little more ergonomically friendly, the Klein less expensive but tougher built.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine