Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project recommendations for Advanced Beginner

Project recommendations for Advanced Beginner

I would consider myself as an advanced beginner for woodworking and as a firm believer in "learning by doing", I am casting around the next project that would advance my skill set beyond butchering plywood for the shop.

In terms of experience, I have done quite a few home carpentry projects (including building by own 16 x 24 shop). Done some finished carpentry for friends and family. I have refinished several pieces of furniture and built some cabinets (miter saw station, drill press bench, Norm's router table/cabinet etc) for the shop. Some these projects have turned out great and some have been not so great.

In terms of tools, I have a mix of first to third generation tools:

SawStop 1.75 hp PCS
    Porter Cable 680 mounted in a Jessem Lift in the table
    PC 895 router for free hand work
    Lunch Box planer (big box brand)
    10" combine miter saw (big box brand)
    Usual hand tools, sanders, etc.

Having gone to the specialty lumber yard and drooled over all of the hard wood lumber, I am trying to decide what would be a good next project.

Wanting to jump into the deep end and make a big splash, I was thinking of trying to build a piece of fine furniture, a console table.

But I was also wondering about trying to do some small boxes-jewelry, etc.

The boxes would have the advantage of forcing me to learn how to do some joiner, but may also require a level of finesse/skill that I do not have yet.

The console table project is closer to my comfort zone and I have the (mis?)perception that working on a larger piece gives more room for error. Of course working on a larger piece can also make mistakes more costly when I have to go back to the lumber yard for another piece of maple.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Of course only you can decide what your next project should be...there's no right answer.

That being said, any of the projects you mention will offer opportunities to build new skills. The console table will offer a chance to work on design (if you decide to design it yourself), larger scale joinery, and may fill a void in the home (do you need a console table?). Do you have a design in mind or one that you wish to emulate? Do you have the tooling you need to make the design you would want?

On the other hand, boxes are great for working on details...really fine-tuning your accuracy and precision with both power and hand tools, flexing your creativity without burning a hole through your wallet, and they make great gifts. They can be as challenging or simple as you want. Regardless of which project you choose to undertake next, if you're at all interested in boxes, I'd recommend getting a good box-making book (such as by Doug Stowe) and working through the projects as you have time. You can build a lot of skills that way very quickly and boxes are an excellent use of scrap material.

So my vote? Go for the console table and use the scraps to make some boxes!

Blog Entries
    You can't go wrong with book cases, coffee tables, end tables, pedestal tables. Pick a style that you like, shaker, arts& craft, etc., and research these different styles.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    No matter the project you decide to build I recommend entering in a local furniture competition. Many State and County fairs will have these types of competitions that only cost a few dollars to enter and typically have a beginner category. The Florida State Fair for instance has a competition every year and the entry fee is $3 per piece. The value here is that you build a piece knowing it will be judged, and you will get an unbiased assessment of what you did well and where to improve. The judge will typically point out the same thing you already know you need to work on but he will point them out in front of your fellow woodworkers. When I started obsessing about things the judge never saw I knew I needed to lighten up on myself. I also find myself learning a lot by looking at the other pieces in the competition and listening the judges review.

The two main projects that pushed me to improve my skill and understanding were 1. My first hand tool only project (no electricity allowed) and 2. My first instrument. The first turned out well, the second not so much.
    I say start with a box or two or three. Force yourself to execute the details until you are happy with the results. Then attack a bigger project and force yourself to hold the same level of execution as you did for the box.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blanket chests and night stands are good projects. Lots of styles.

Something a a little simpler might be a step stool.

http://cdn.opentip.com/Baby-Products...FdgSgQodj-MEEA

i've built a similar one to those in the link except that the upright support was actually a box with a hinged lid. Each of my grand children have one; the last several have their initials in the back of the box. If you are interested, can provide some dimensions and template for the sides.

One might argue that for the level of accuracy both of those projects require, a jointer might be a good idea. Just my .02, good luck with whatever you decide!

Todd,

My first serious project was a pair of nightstands. I got the basic ideas and plans from a WW magazine (Canadian Woodworker as I recall) and modified them to make them more challenging and more attractive. The article talked the reader through the process, and the narrative worked just as well for my modified design.

In that vein, I would recommend Woodsmith magazine (http://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/). This is a project-oriented publication that exemplifies your learning approach of hands-on learning by doing. They also offer a subscription to an on-line video magazine that seems like a companion to the print magazine. The on-line series has just completed building a Greene and Greene style table with two drawers.

Finally, I have written up some projects, including my version of that nightstand. They are the main projects that I used to learn woodworking. If you would like to see some of them, send me a PM.

Welcome

Doug

Todd ask your family and friends what kind of things they might want you to make. I made a few things early on, that never left the shop because there was no one who wanted them. A few hall tables and night stands saturated that market, and a few jewelry boxes and shadow boxes satisfied those needs. But I too struggle with what to make now, that has a purpose.

Console table is perfect. I agree that bigger (as big as you can still lift easily) is easier.

You'll learn about panel glue-ups, leg/apron joinery, selecting the right stock for strong legs, and selecting grain matching stock for the top.

While red oak causes some noses to turn up, I think it's a wonderful wood to build with. It's prominent grain poses fun challenges for matching on a panel and and laminating on legs. It takes color very well - both dyes and stains. It's also reasonable to route, plane and sand without a lot of burning or tear-out to contend with. Last, it's relatively cheap, so you can afford to buy the right pieces for each section.

I consider my first woodworking project of substance to have been my solid hardwood (Ash) woodworking bench. It's a substantial sized project, but will provide years of enjoyment and usefulness. I used a lot of tools (both power and hand), learned how to work with rough lumber including acclimating lumber before and during milling, did a lot of different kinds of joinery. Learned the value of sharpening. Started pretty much with the same tool set you have. Ended up buying lots of clamps to laminate the tops (split top design).
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You might look into a woodworkers club. http://www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org/

You should pick the project that you want to do MOST and get with it. You have all the equipment necessary. I don't think you should hesitate to do anything except something requiring turnings.

Just remember bigger projects often require jigs for specific actions. So not only are you making the piece of furniture, but also the jigs to make the piece of furniture. Make sure you fine tune your jigs and practice on some scrap so that the final product will be flawless.

Examples:

- Your 10" miter saw wont be able to cut the console table top once glued up, so ho do you trim to length? Do you have a sled for table saw? Or maybe a guide for a handheld circular saw?
    - If you are doing mortise and tenon, how can you make them?
    - If you are doing tapered legs, do you have a table saw jig for that?
    - How will you make drawers? Finger joints, dovetails on router, etc?

This is where a box may be a more accessible project as it may require less jigs for individual components.

Robby

Blog Entries
    Any reasonably involved smaller scale project will help develop your skills while not consuming large amounts of material or large amounts of space with completed projects. Small, hinged boxes with internal trays and decorative tops build many skills in a small package; they are also really easy to give away ;-)

bird-fret-box-finished-6.jpg . bird-fret-box-finished-4.jpg

Small wall cabinets allow practice on stopped dados, sliding dovetails and frame and panel joinery. They also hide all sorts of random nick-nacks.

GH Wall Cabinet 41.jpg . GH Wall Cabinet 42.jpg

Or store CD's . . . yes I still use those ;-)

GnG Wall Cab (189).jpg . GnG Wall Cab (193).jpg

Dresser valets are small but, you can use things like tablesaw made coves and routed "bowls" to add complexity, build skills and have fun with the exercise.

Dresser-top-org (2).jpg . Dresser-top-org (1).jpg

You can literally just browse Woodsmith or Fine Woodworking online and come up with lots of fun things to try.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-16-2016 at 1:56 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would say simply look around your home, and if you see an unmet furniture/accessory need or something that needs to be replaced, then that's your next project. If there's nothing in the home that will fit the bill (asking the spouse will likely result in many opportunities, perhaps too many, so proceed down that opportunity path with caution), then think about what family and/or friends may need/want.

If THAT doesn't spur anything, then head over to the LARGEST furniture store in the area, and just wander around looking for inspiration.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.