Thread: Full blind dovetail box

Full blind dovetail box

I had never done full blind dovetails. I have done plenty of others. I thought I may want to use full blinds on a project so made this to experiment a bit. Oak and walnut polycrilic finish. A little finicky but not too bad. I had four corners to work out a method.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good job - good fit. Congratulations!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Good job - good fit. Congratulations!

Mike
    Mike Thank you very much. It is very nice to get a compliment from an accomplished woodworker as you are. I have watched a few of your tutorials and they are top notch. I have some veneer work in mind along with other things to try. I'm glad I have a long list of things to do. I showed my wife one of your trays and got an immediate "I want one of those". I guess it's on the list now.
    Jim

Yes, very well done. Hint: Don't show your wife the "Ultimate Bar" post.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Yes, very well done. Hint: Don't show your wife the "Ultimate Bar" post.

John
    Thanks John. That is a very nice home bar. My wife would want other things so I'm glad I won't have to add that much work to the list, it is somewhat overwhelming as it stands. Howard's video is a work of art also.
    Jim

Truly great craftsmanship there!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job, but all that work and nobody can see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Truly great craftsmanship there!
    Thank you Mr. Becker.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Nice job, but all that work and nobody can see it?
    Probably a good thing too, it could possibly leave me open to criticism.
    Jim

"Seeing dovetails" and other joinery is something we've come to expect for some artistic reason, but many masters, especially in Asian cultures, specifically created complex, but hidden joinery, deriving strength from all the interlocking, but providing a clean, nearly invisible junction between components. Honestly, the skill required to "keep it in the dark" is substantial, which is why this project is so impressive to me!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice James. I have always thought it would be interesting to try that joint, but have never attempted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DelPorte View Post
    Very nice James. I have always thought it would be interesting to try that joint, but have never attempted it.
    Thanks Scott. A guitar maker like you should find it easy enough. You may find it useful to make guitar stands or something like that.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "Seeing dovetails" and other joinery is something we've come to expect for some artistic reason, but many masters, especially in Asian cultures, specifically created complex, but hidden joinery, deriving strength from all the interlocking, but providing a clean, nearly invisible junction between components. Honestly, the skill required to "keep it in the dark" is substantial, which is why this project is so impressive to me!
    Jim I want to use the joint to make something with lighter material and don't want the joints to show. I got over the dovetail thing about 40 years ago. They are even trying to get machine made ones to look hand made now. A few years back it was trying to get hand made to look like machine made, makes me dizzy. Who would have thought that a good woodworking joint has become so famous. Lol
    Jim

Great job! Its too bad few people can appreciate the degree of skill needed to produce something like this.

John