Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finding the cut - Thompson gouge

I ground back the heel of my 5/8" bowl gouge and I have to say the results are pleasantly surprising. The cut is definitely smoother as I go down the inside of the bowl. My transitions are almost never abrupt down there, but with a fat heel, I realize now that I have been coming in a little aggressively nose-in all these years. Last night I rounded over the heel more aggressively, and I find it much easier to cut down now.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    You can fight it or smile while cutting in the bottom. Take a cheap BB 1/2" bowl gouge (or whatever) and grind a 70 deg. bevel on it and call it a bottom feeder. Been using one for 20 years and its also good for other cuts. Great finishing tool and unbeatable for platters. It simply allows you to ride the whole bevel for control while cutting long curls. Allows the handle to be held at almost 90 deg. to the cut surface.
    I do think becoming a bottom feeder is in my BB gouge's future. It's a 5/8" gouge though.

Only comment I have on the pictures of the grinds is that the noses are a bit square instead of a smooth round. This can make it feel funny when cutting especially if you roll your gouges more on the side. If you have a mentor in the area, that would most likely solve it instantly. Experiment at slow speeds till you get comfortable.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    ...If you have a mentor in the area, that would most likely solve it instantly...
    I do! He's the one that gave me the gouge! If I continue to have issues, I'll most certainly pay him a visit.

The grind is a little sloppy, though the pictures make it look worse than it actually is. I'll continue to improve on it.

Thanks! By the way, I really enjoy your videos.

A 5/8" bowl gouge will work ok and don't be afraid to go to a 75-78 deg bevel to find your preference. Try grinding it on a disc or belt sander and just rotate the whole tool and the wings will have clearance. I have also done this on a spindle gouge but like the bowl gouge better--both work. A 1" spindle roughing gouge sharpened to the same bevel makes a great gouge for the outsides of vases and bowls--even a finish cut. BUT only when ground to a 70-80 deg bevel. This is dangerous with the factory 45 deg bevel. With the flat bevel it is just about impossible to get a catch--great for new turners.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 06-23-2016 at 12:46 AM.