Thread: Belt grinder belts

Belt grinder belts

I have a Kalamazoo 2 X 48” belt grinder set up similar to the Sorby Pro Edge belt grinder. I'm using it with a Oneway clone Vari-Grind.

I only use it to sharpen bowl gouges. I started with a 3M 120 grit aluminum oxide belt but have moved to 180 grit. The belts are cheap and last a long time. I'm pleased with my grind but have been wondering if a premium belt would give even better results.

Anybody using the ceramic belts and if so what grit?
    Larry

I purchased the Sorby Pro Edge system in early February. It came with a 60 and 120 grit aluminum oxide belt.
    I set the profile on all my gouges with the 60 grit and the final edge using the 120.
    I purchased a 120 grit ceramic soon afterward and have used it daily ever since. It still is performing well. For me the 120 provides a great edge and can see no reason to go finer.

Ceramic belts give a finer edge to Pro PM, A-11, V-15, and other powder metallurgy tools.

Data?

Quote Originally Posted by ALAN HOLLAR View Post
    Ceramic belts give a finer edge to Pro PM, A-11, V-15, and other powder metallurgy tools.
    Alan,

This is interesting. By "finer" do you mean a smoother edge such as you would normally get with a belt with finer grit?

I can't find (with a google search) any data about this. Do you have any links to tests, reviews, or even manufacturer claims about this?

Or is this a result of your own observations? If so, how do you measure the fineness, by eye, microscope, the effect in a cut? I have been in communication with several people about how to do careful tests to evaluate various sharping methods and more information on this might be helpful.

JKJ

If you want to know about how grinding belts interact with different metals, head on over to Bladeforums. The knife guys live for this stuff.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.