Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers 3.2%?

Ah, yes..... Remember it well when I was in the Army in the 60's..... 99 cents a six-pac at the beer hall.....

Dave Helm. You must remember Cassano's pizza and Schoenling beer as well. Especially the Little Kings.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

"Near Beer"

The Minnesota State Fair only sold 3.2 beer up until about a decade or so ago. I worked for the Fair for a lot of years and never understand how people could get so drunk on 3.2 beer. One guy was so drunk he stripped off all of his clothes while riding on a open air parking shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Dave Helm. You must remember Cassano's pizza and Schoenling beer as well. Especially the Little Kings.
    Vic Cassano's was certainly the best pizza around at the time. . .and Momma Donisi.
    I was long gone before the Little Kings came along.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I grew up in Cleveland. In the 50's the only place to buy booze was in a 'State Store', which I assume was run by the state.

I remember going on vacations out of state, and asking my dad what a 'Liquor Store' was, when I saw my first one.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

OMG, I'm laffing my butt off...

Seems none of you have lived in or been to Utah? Land of the most ridiculous liquor laws in the country?

3.2 is the ONLY beer allowed on grocery store shelves or served in restaurants. Been that way since time began. Anything stronger requires a trip to the state-run liquor store, and a healthy premium over the price any of YOU pay for it... $2.00+ for a 10-12oz bottle of 5% beer or wine cooler... groan...

We even outlawed 3.2 wine coolers in grocery stores a few years ago, 'bad influence on the kids'...

Ever heard of our "Zion Curtain"? Google it for a good laugh.

We have 'The Church' to thank for saving us from ourselves.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

Seems none of you have lived in or been to Utah? Land of the most ridiculous liquor laws in the country?

3.2 is the ONLY beer allowed on grocery store shelves or served in restaurants. Been that way since time began. Anything stronger requires a trip to the state-run liquor store, and a healthy premium over the price any of YOU pay for it... $2.00+ for a 10-12oz bottle of 5% beer or wine cooler... groan...

We even outlawed 3.2 wine coolers in grocery stores a few years ago, 'bad influence on the kids'...

As I recall, one is also limited to only two of these low beers when in a restaurant.
    Don't even get me started about coffee in Utah; best described as "ruined water"!
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

If you order an import then you get the higher % brew

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you order an import then you get the higher % brew
    I tend to forget you can get a 'heavy' beer in restaurants. However, only from noon to midnight, 'near beer' is available from 10am to 1am..

I also love our liquor meters attached to the bottles, which will dispense only 1 ounce of 'primary' liquor, and these meters also have a 'pour counter' on them. If the BABC comes-a-callin', hopefully none of your employees has been cheating....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When I was in Salt Lake City we all got carded and the youngest was over 50

Remember 3.2?? I'm drinkin' one! That's all that's available in OK outside of a liquor store. And they can't sell it cold!!! Can't sell mixers either, just liquor, strong beer and wine. And only liquor stores can sell wine, no grocery or convenience purchases.

Thankfully, there is a question planned for the Nov election to change some of that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    Remember 3.2?? I'm drinkin' one! That's all that's available in OK outside of a liquor store. And they can't sell it cold!!! Can't sell mixers either, just liquor, strong beer and wine. And only liquor stores can sell wine, no grocery or convenience purchases.
    Sounds pretty similar to Minnesota liquor laws. No liquor sales outside of liquor stores and no Sunday sales. Grocery stores and convenience stores do have small selections of beer, but I have no idea what the alcohol content is. Probably 3.2.

It is strange to go into Walmart in other states and see displays of alcohol in the middle of the aisle kinda like they display pop/soda here in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    I grew up near Dayton Ohio.3.2 beer was what we started drinking at 16 (this is back in the 1950s). By the time we turned 18 we had been going into the bars for such a long time that they started serving us high beer and mixed drinks. Back then nobody cared. Oh, and it was Schoenling, Hudepohl and Burger.
    This brings back memories. Before joining the Air Force I worked at Schoenling (which by that point had bought out Hudy and Burger). My dad worked there for 42 yrs before retiring just after Boston Brewery bought them out. My grandfather also worked there after he sold his bar. I had the pleasure of working with Bill Schoenling "Jr" on the draft dock for a while. What an interesting time that was.

I am in NE Indiana and grew up in the 70's. Where I was, we could get to Ohio for 3.2% Beer in about 20 minutes. Or, we could get to Michigan where you could buy anything as long as you were 18 (or at least looked old enough to drive ) in around 50 minutes. If we had time, we'd always go to Michigan, but I made plenty of Ohio runs in my day too.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty