Thread: Thanks, folks! GLOAT

Thanks, folks! GLOAT

Many thanks for the great replies I recently received on this forum. Special thanks to Per who was kind enough to answer several questions via email.
    Finally, I decided to purchase a SCMS and opted for the Makita LS 1013. I haven't used it much yet but I'm certainly impressed of the smoothness of the cuts I made. And I can also state that the SCMS is definitely the messiest power tool I own.

Regards,

Christian

PICS:
    Two pics show the SCMS, the third one some more stuff I bought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Christian,

Congrats on the new saw. I am sure that it will greatly enhance your cabilities and be a great addition to your shop. Now wheres all the saw dust. That shop is entirly too clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Christian,

Congrats on the new saw. I am sure that it will greatly enhance your cabilities and be a great addition to your shop. Now wheres all the saw dust. That shop is entirly too clean.
    Thanks. As for the clean shop - I cleaned it up before taking the pics.

Christian

Sweeeeet. Nice saw! What yah going to do with that big old checkered face hammer?

Corey

Christian,

Congratulations on the new saw! Nice clamps also.

Is that a CT22 peeking from under the table?

I have my CT22 hooked up to my 10" DeWalt CMS and it catches about 50-60% of the dust but a SCMS is much more difficult to collect dust from.

Are SCMSs as common on job sites in Austria and Germany as they are here in the US?

Pete

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congrats Christian! That is a very good quality addition to your shop. When my old & tired 12” Skill CMS finally dies, I plan on getting the LS 1013. I have never read one bad thing on it so it must be very good.

I’m a little surprised that Festool hasn’t come out with one yet. It would be a perfect fit into their line of quality tools.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice saw Christian. Good luck with it.

Richard

Thanks, guys.

@ Corey: At the store the hammer looked at me and asked "Don't you want to buy me?". I just couldn’t resist.

@ Peter: Yes, that's a Festool CT 22. I already bought an adapter in order to hook saw up to the vac but the results were not too impressive. I might build a cabinet for the saw in the long run and add a gulp dust hood as Per suggested.
    Yep, I do think SCMS are quite common on the jobsite. Many professionals also seem to use this, this and this type of saw on the jobsite.

@ Bruce: Festool goes a different route as they offer trimming saws as show in the link above. Check out this link in order to find out how it works.

Regards,

Christian

nice saw. lets see pics of the rest of the shop.

Hey Christian...

Excellent Choice! I have one of these and mine uses the 8 inch blades. I got it slightly before they released the one with 10 inch blades. Oh Well. Its been so many many years ago that I forgot the model number.

My saw has been everywhere. Its aluminum construction makes it easy to move. And its construction is robust and accurate. Just watch the front knob that sticks out. I tweaked mine a bit a while back when it was in the back of my truck. Opps. But the saw still works and it did not affect its accuracy.

This saw has oliver like reliability. It has no drive belts as its direct drive. The motor is serviced with brush pockets. Setups are easy. The saw stays in tune for extremely long periods of time. In a nut shell, its brain dead accurate!

But it does shower the back side with dust! It can make a real mess when used inside as I have done doing flooring jobs. Other than that, this lightweight trimmer is a good choice. I call it my DeWalt "Little Brother" or "Lil-Bra" for you hawaiians. (Sorry Chuck... Could not resist. Hope ugamuga doesnt come after me.)

Best of luck with this saw. By the way, what is the voltage on your saw? Is yours 220 volts?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Best of luck with this saw. By the way, what is the voltage on your saw? Is yours 220 volts?
    Yep. Officially we have 230 V as our standard voltage and 400 V for larger stuff.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by John Scane
    nice saw. lets see pics of the rest of the shop.
    Hi John,

please check out this thread in order to see more pics of the shop.

Regards,

Christian

Christian, congrats on the new saw! I simply love having a SCMS in my shop. It should do you very well!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"