Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Hate ________ The Most. Fill in the Blank.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I Hate ________ The Most. Fill in the Blank.

As it relates to houses, painting. I actually preferred digging post holes by hand in 95 degree heat the other day to painting inside an air conditioned home. All the prep work and painting is a pain in the neck, literally.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Working in the dusty (and I mean dusty), hot attic trying to get attic fans connected to AC power.

There may be one off tasks I dislike more but mowing the lawn ranks right at the top, what a useless activity.

Plumbing - - hands down the worst....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Plumbing - - hands down the worst....
    I'm with Rich. Especially when it involves #2

Cleaning out clogged bathtub / sink / sewer drains and cleaning out clogged gutters

Blog Entries
    Strange as it may sound, I love painting. I'm not very fond of any work on the west side of the house, which requires going up a 30' ladder that I have to put in the street around a blind corner. I have a huge warning sign to alert traffic that there is a man on a ladder ahead.

Insulating anything with fiberglass batts! Yes - I hate it with big letters
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    There may be one off tasks I dislike more but mowing the lawn ranks right at the top, what a useless activity.
    Right there with you Bill, I'd rather blow 2 feet of snow off my driveway than cut the grass.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I am sorry but I would rather mow the lawn than freeze shoveling snow. There is something about a green, good looking lawn that I love. It is much better looking than two feet of snow.

I do not like plumbing but I hate paying a couple hundred to a plumber. Money better spent on new tools. But of all the plumbing jobs I dislike, putting in a new faucet is the worst....confronting upside down with stuck parts underneath a sink just is awful.

I hate surveys. So there!

Actually, plumbing is near the top of the list. I like having plumbing. I just don't like doing plumbing. I don't much like anyone who likes doing plumbing. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I am sorry but I would rather mow the lawn...
    I think love or hate of mowing is a relative thing, depending on circumstances. I mow about 3 acres once or twice a week depending on the rain. Another 5-8 acres on occasion when I mow the horse pasture.

I enjoy it, kind of a zen thing, gives me time to relax and contemplate life. Of course, the mower helps - I use a 60" zero-turn Kubota with a 25hp diesel engine. The 5 acres takes maybe an hour. The 3 acres also takes a little longer but there is a lot of mowing around trees in the orchard, around the house, etc. Occasionally a friend will help with my smaller zero-turn and it goes even faster. I mow in the evening or morning when not so hot. When I mowed a much smaller area with a walk behind mower it was more of a chore.

JKJ

Roofing and concrete work come to my mind most quickly.

Both leave me hurting for a few days after and are hard on my hands.

David

. . . painting is a pain in the neck, literally

I hate painting too. Second hate behind that is working with fluffy fiberglass insulation, especially when it is above my head raining little itchy particles down all over me.

Robby

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I enjoy it, kind of a zen thing, gives me time to relax and contemplate life. Of course, the mower helps - I use a 60" zero-turn Kubota with a 25hp diesel engine. The 5 acres takes maybe an hour. The 3 acres also takes a little longer but there is a lot of mowing around trees in the orchard, around the house, etc. Occasionally a friend will help with my smaller zero-turn and it goes even faster. I mow in the evening or morning when not so hot. When I mowed a much smaller area with a walk behind mower it was more of a chore.
    How fast does that mower go to be able to mow five acres in a hour? I have a Toro Groundsmaster mower with 62" deck and it takes me close to two hours for two acres even though the mower is pretty fast. I have a lot of trees close together so it takes a long time to mow around them. I occasionally mow at full speed, but most of the time I don't due to bumps. I couldn't imagine mowing even faster.

If I had to use a normal riding mower I would probably hire someone because they are so slow. It takes almost as long to mow my parent's 1/2 acre with their riding mower as it does for me to mow my two acres.

I absolutely hate painting inside a house with all the trim to cut around. I didn't mind painting my house with no doors and no trim because it went so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    How fast does that mower go to be able to mow five acres in a hour?...
    If I had to use a normal riding mower I would probably hire someone because they are so slow.
    When I first bought this place I used a riding mower on a section of field by the house. Then I bought a 52" gasoline zero-turn and could mow the same section in 1/4th of the time. Then I got the 60" Kubota and cut the time by 1/2 again. So the Kubota is about 8 times faster than the riding lawn mower PLUS it doesn't wear me out and beat me to death.

The field is wide open, gentle hill on one end but no trees or other obstructions. I go pretty fast and don't worry much about the quality of the cut. I like to cut the horse pasture to about 5-6" to keep the horses from getting fine grass seeds in their eyes.

JKJ