Thread: Asking for advice on finish for bathroom cabinet doors

Asking for advice on finish for bathroom cabinet doors

hi:

My new bathroom cabinet has two doors (there are 5 doors and 4 drawer fronts in total) that are opposite the opening for the doorless shower. Under some circumstances (e.g. when my wife runs the shower full out while having one foot on the built in seat and her back to both the door and one set of shower heads) some water splashes out far enough to leave spots on the doors.

The doors are 5/8th+ Santos Mahogany. At present they have been lightly sanded and are unfinished except for two quick coats of spray on lacquer. (I had hoped to leave them alone for maybe 6 months before finishing them - its been 3). There is no external door hardware.

What is the right finish to use?

Blog Entries
    I made a vanity for my son and his wife and I used Varathane Diamond Floor Finish a water based finish. It has been over eight years and the vanity looks like new despite two kids and wet towels, water splashing etc.chris vanity.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I made a wood top with a vessel sink for our master bath vanity 4 years ago. Yes, seems like a terrible idea but I figured I made it once and if I had to I could replace it later with something else.

I used general finishes Endurovar and it has held up very well to the water. My wife does wipe it down if it has a lot of water on it but we aren't too careful with it. I'd use it again anywhere there is water. It has a slight Amber color to it like an oil finish.

The endurovar does not like acetone. I used a little acetone to remove some errant silicone at the seal for mounting the vessel sink. Not a good idea but it is an inconspicuous spot so I let it go.

Rudy, Lee's use of a water borne floor finish is a good way to go and you won't asphyxiate the household while putting it on. If it was out in the shop, I would use 2 pack polyurethane. Before you apply anything, check for compatibility with what you have on there already. I would personally remove the lacquer before applying the new coating system. The lacquer will most likely be structurally weaker and chemically inferior to the new coating and this is a risk to the life of the new coating. Cheers.
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Before you apply anything, check for compatibility with what you have on there already. I would personally remove the lacquer before applying the new coating system. The lacquer will most likely be structurally weaker and chemically inferior to the new coating and this is a risk to the life of the new coating. Cheers.
    Of course - the lacquer was never intended to last - I put it on because I had it and wanted to see what it did, but always intended to take it off when I do the finish sanding.