Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lap Desk In A Weekend

Lap Desk In A Weekend

LOML is out at her parents this weekend and I have been left to my own devices. II've been wanting to build a shaker lap desk for a while, and yesterday I ran across this old plan from the woodworkers journal.

Since I can't wrap up my other project until my hardware arrives I decided to challenge myself and see if I can complete the construction of this relatively simple project by the end of the weekend. Not only will I hopefully end up with a nice lap desk, but I'll get to use up a bunch of BORG pine cutoffs in the process.

Here's the progress so far after about 3 hours of work.

Carcass pieces roughly dimensioned.
    IMG_20130615_102600_074.jpg

Dimensioning complete and ready for joinery
    IMG_20130615_113027_224.jpg

Grooves cut and its time to start the dovetails.
    IMG_20130615_120021_162.jpg IMG_20130615_121005_481.jpg

Sides are dovetailed to the back.
    IMG_20130615_125321_983.jpg IMG_20130615_125345_925.jpg

Just finished lunch break, time to turn of the History channel special on the Dark Ages and get back to dovetailing the front.

More to come....
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Knocking out a couple more dovetails.

Try as I might not everything always fits right of the saw. This dovetail is a little tight.
    ForumRunner_20130615_141540.jpg

So it's my super handy LN float to the rescue. I love this thing. Its like a paring chisel for the ham fisted.
    ForumRunner_20130615_141607.jpg

Much better.
    ForumRunner_20130615_141913.jpg

Case is done. Time for glue up and then time to prep more parts.
    ForumRunner_20130615_141617.jpg ForumRunner_20130615_141627.jpg
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    So it's my super handy LN float to the rescue. I love this thing. Its like a paring chisel for the ham fisted.
    Hang on now, that's a precision instrument in my shop.
    Most of my dovetails rely on brute force clamping, filling gaps with shims and covering them with moldings.

The LN float is one of those rare tools that allows me to get the three sides of a dovetail close to flat.

"The noyve" to disparage such a noble implement...

SGMG429_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Hang on now, that's a precision instrument in my shop.
    Most of my dovetails rely on brute force clamping, filling gaps with shims and covering them with moldings.

The LN float is one of those rare tools that allows me to get the three sides of a dovetail close to flat.

"The noyve" to disparage such a noble implement...

SGMG429_1.jpg
    Hehe! Jim you misread my post. It is indeed a precision instrument....so precision in fact that even the most ham-fisted of us can use it precisely. Said precision instrument was not disparaged, rather the ham fisted user of said precision instrument was disparaged...

Seriously, I love my float. It almost feels like cheating to use it. I can't believe they don't get more press. $60 gets you a tool that can do as much as a $150-$200 joinery plane.

What size LN float do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Robinson View Post
    What size LN float do you use?
    I have the 1" by 1/8" thick plane makers bed float (in push). I don't use it for plane making but, I wanted the 1" width, and a good bit of length w/o the offset of the joinery "cheek" float. Its got just a bit of flex to it (like and old thin paring chisel) and can be used very gently or very aggressively depending how much downward force you apply.

I've only had it like maybe 2 months tops but its become my favorite way top fit tenons and its good for tweaking tail boards if you just need to remove a sliver on a slighly tight dovetail. Seriously floats are suberb value in terms of what they can do for what you pay.

End of Day 1

Well, didn't get as far as I had hoped (never do though), but had a pretty productive enjoyable day. Forming and fitting the breadboard moldings and their joints took some futzing and thus more time than I anticipated. Here's where I am.

Cutting the tongue on the lid and a shot of the breadboard molding after beveling, rabbeting and cutting a groove for the tongue.
    IMG_20130615_160547_408.jpg IMG_20130615_172649_478.jpg

By the end of day on I have the case assemble w/ the dovetails planed flush and generally cleaned up. The lid is dry fit with to the breadboard ends, and several boards (not shown) are in clamps to make panel for the shelf and bottom.
    IMG_20130615_185206_422.jpg IMG_20130615_175704_021.jpg IMG_20130615_175711_431.jpg

What's left? Dimension and install the case bottom and shelf; pin the breadboard ends to the lid; and build the drawer( dimension, cut joinery, glueup, etc...)

Not sure how much shop time I'll have tomorrow. Hoping to finish all glueing and construction, but we shall see. Could end up being a couple weekend project. Fun build though.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-15-2013 at 9:41 PM.

Hey, that's a really nice way of breadboarding. It gives me ideas for some things I want to make.

I'd never be able to finish this in a weekend; I hope you do! It's looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by Federico Mena Quintero View Post
    I'd never be able to finish this in a weekend; I hope you do! It's looking great!
    Thanks Frederico. I hope I finish too. Though the odds aren't looking my favor right now. Overslept...was hoping to get started an hour or so ago. Plus I really need to do some house cleaning before the Mrs. gets home. I'll get down to the shop shortly though and hopefully I'll make speedy progress today.

Nailing on the bottom after planing it down from three quarters to one quarter inch thick. Now I get to do the same thing with the shelf. A perfect example of where it sure would be nice to own a thickness planer.

ForumRunner_20130616_123907.jpg

Go Chris! Go!

Regards from Perth

Derek (who knows there is too much to do in too little time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Go Chris! Go!

Regards from Perth

Derek (who knows there is too much to do in too little time!)
    Hehe. Thanks Derek.

I've got everything made except the drawer. I need to attach the lid and dig out some hinges for it and then the whole thing will be assembled and I can get to the drawer. Unfortunately I need to take a break to get some house work done. BUT...I think I can get to the drawer today and once I get to it I can get it put together not to slowley...though I'll need to glue up a panel for the drawer bottom and then plane it down to 1/4"...

My optimistic prediction is that I'll get everything put together sans the drawer bottom before bed tonight....we'll see how much more shop time I get today though

The case is totally done (as are the dishes).

Everything is assembled, fitted and flushed. Thought I had some box hinges around, but couldn't find them so those will get installed this week after a trip to the BORG. Time to see if I can get this drawer knocked together.

ForumRunner_20130616_165223.jpg

I built one from those plans years ago. I used Butternut and Walnut for the molding. It's a nice size. I cut enough wood for two. One with the drawer and one without. I still haven't put together the one with the drawer. I'll get to it someday.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Afraid mine took a little longer, since the lumber was a might on the rough side. But, Barn Wood can be like thatSDC14914.jpginside, before the BLO/Varnish, andSDC14926.jpgSDC14916.jpgSDC14917.jpgand a few coats and the front viewSDC14924.jpgMost of the "parts" came from one plank. Plus two pieces of Oak. Top is not a glue up.