Thread: SCMI S/ 300w saw

SCMI S/ 300w saw

Anybody have one of these or experience with one? Looking to upgrade to my first slider, and am wondering if this would be a good one to start with?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Solid track record, only 3-phase. Also, I rarely see any of these sold "complete". In other words, parts could be missing. Aside from that, not sure what to tell you. As with any used machine, it will be more about the particular unit in question and how it was cared for rather than the brand or model. Best of luck.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Can you still get all the parts yet?

Will depend on the age of the machine and on the particular parts you need. You can create an account on partspronto-dot-com to download manuals and price out/check availability on parts for pretty much any SCM machine.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

For what it is worth, I've got an early 90s SCMI SI16 can can still get parts. There really aren't a lot of proprietary, can't be duplicated, parts on saws. If the machine has the rip and crosscut fence and both stops you should be golden. Motors can go but they are standard metric frame. Dave

I went and looked a the saw this afternoon and it looks like it's been taken care of. They replaced the main slide bearings 2 years ago, and the carriage felt smooth the whole length. There were a couple squeaky spots.... is this suppose to be oiled? Also the blade/arbor seems to have some runout, I'm not sure if it's the blade or arbor/bearings. It's been used in a small custom shop, but doesn't look like it's been overly abused. He thought it was a '97.

Ended up buying the saw. Will post pics tomorrow. So now I get to rearrange my table saw setup

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Ended up buying the saw. Will post pics tomorrow. So now I get to rearrange my table saw setup
    Meh, new toys are always a good thing. Especially if they're of the money making variety. I'm anxiously awaiting my new widget to arrive. I'm hoping by Friday so I can hopefully get it operational before next week.

Ok, so I haven't got pics yet.... life has been a little busy here of late. Anyways I got the saw powered up and started playing around with it. When starting it up there seems to be a slight wobble at a certain speed but it seems to cut fine. I'm not sure if it's the blade or the arbor? Any recommendations on blades? Obviously it will be mostly sheet goods, but some SLR as well, which I probably want a different blade for. What's your preference?

Measure the tooth width and then measure the kerf. That will tell you how much runout x 2. Try another blade and do the same thing so you can venture a guess as to how much is blade itself. You can also put a dial on the arbor flange. Flange should be .001-.002 and kerf should be about .008 or less wider than tooth depending on blade size. My .008 is with a 16" blade so a 12" should be less. Do you have scoring? If so you want your sheet goods blades to have the same plate and teeth thickness so the scoring doesn't need much adjustment when you change blades. Dave