Hey all - new here. I'm at a place now where I want to add either a thickness planer or jointer to my shop. I build mostly custom furniture - and most of that is various types of tables - 50% or so of which is with exotic hardwoods.
Up until recently I was leaning more towards a 13" planer, but since I'm typically working with boards that are in the less-than-8-inch width range now I'm thinking an 8" jointer would make more sense. At least I could do some jointing
and surface planing. Any suggestions about this?

As for resawing - I've been making my own veneers using a Wood Slicer 1/2" blade, on a 14" Craftsman bandsaw. It's a really nice for general use, but I'm finding resawing on anything wider than 3 to 4" is just horrific. Regardless of how much I adjust the fence for blade drift, the results are awful. It's not as bad with softer woods, like poplar, but anything harder than that and the blade has a plan of it's own! Suggestions?? If anyone knows of a good quality fence for a Craftsman bandsaw that I don't have to do major surgery to the table - please let me know!

thanks!
chip