Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Segmented glueup I found at garage sale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Craven View Post
    Vases could look really nice too, especially if they were tall and slender. Not that I'd do that myself... don't have the toolset or skills to hollow something like that.
    I hear thee.
    But I like your idea of cutting diagonal cutting boards. I could try making one and see how I like it before using up a whole glueup. That would also leave me with a diagonal piece that's round on the end that I could turn into a vase or some such thing.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions everyone.

So much wood.....so little time. Got a call from a tree service saying he had a piece of olive he was saving for me.

You don't say what the diameter of the laminations are, but another thought would be to split them down the middle like you do a log. That way you would not be hollowing end grain and it would give you a different pattern. You could also re-saw and re-glue to achieve different patterns. I was going to refer you to Frank Penta's website so you could see some of his laminations, but the website he gave us at the AAW Symposium (http://woodspriteturning.com/sties/penta/) doesn't work. Maybe you could just google his name (Frank Penta Woodturner) and see some of his work.