Thread: Testing the power of your laser?

Testing the power of your laser?

I have a 50w epilog, and despite realigning the lenses, leveling the table, cleaning the optics, and doing everything maintenance-wise – I feel like it's not cutting as nicely as it was. Is there a way to test it to see if the tube is losing power?

Thanks
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Rent, buy, or borrow a meter.

you can rent a power meter from laserbits.com
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Thanks guys!
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

I recently purchased a Mahoney power meter from Bell Laser, it is a great tool for trending your power at different levels.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

I have so many power settings saved in my LS900 for cutting Rowmark and plex and tape that I'll never need a power meter to know if I'm losing power (although it would be nice to know just what the actual power output is).

Some settings I use regularly were made during the first few days I owned it, and they still work fine. In 12 years this machine hasn't lost a step (knock on my head!), and when I changed the silver mirror over the lens for a yellow mirror, it actually gained power. The obvious change I noticed was cutting double sided tape. For years it was dialed in to cut thru the tape but not cut thru the paper I stick the tape to (used vinyl backing or postage label backers). Once I put the new mirror in it blew right thru the tape and the paper backings.

Anyway-- Do you have any cutting settings saved that you can use for reference? If something won't cut with settings that used to work fine, then chances are your power's dropping.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You could use a set calibration test. Have a file that you use to raster a square at a particular speed and power into clear cast acrylic. Use a digital caliper to measure the depth of the square, and watch for changes in the depth.