Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 6x48 w 12 inch disc sander question

Delta 6x48 w 12 inch disc sander question

So I scored a brand new. And I'm dead serious "brand new" never used 1986 delta machine. Sander. It has never had any abrasives on it. So I'm ready to rip my hair out, I cannot get a belt on it. I ordered 25 new belts via eBay. And I cannot get them on. I'm a floor sander by trade. So I use belts everyday and know how to install them. What am I missing here. Sam

Sander.jpg Don't know if this is any help. If your sander looks anything like my craftsman, the two nobs on each side will loosten the roller. Then the belt can be installed the other nobs will move the roller back and is used to adjust tracking of the belt. The small nobs lock roller in place.
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

I have everything as loose as possible. The belts keep getting destroy every time I try.

I have a Delta clone and the idler wheel should move as you loosen. Mine was gummed up from what I assume was dried grease. Does your idler wheel move in and out of the main assembly easily? I disassembled mine and cleaned and lubed and it works well now.

Don't buy too many belts at a time. They typically have a shelf life of a year. The joint will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    Don't buy too many belts at a time. They typically have a shelf life of a year. The joint will fail.
    Boy did I learn that lesson the hard way.

I own one of those. Mine is a bit newer but I don't think it's changed significantly.

Clarification.... You get the belt on and it's destroyed when you start the machine or you are destroying the belt trying to get it in place??

If the latter, I would check the length of the belts you bought on Ebay
    Last edited by Scott Dorrer; 06-30-2016 at 11:50 AM.

As Scott said, please describe how the belts are failing. When you out then on? When you turn it on (after mounting)?

Hey guys. I'm actually doing the damage while installing them. I can get them over the rollers. But it's extremely tight and then cannot slide them into place.

Did you check the belt length?

Also,,, what is the model number of the machine?

The star knob on the back of the sander controls roller height. The star knob on the side controls trollers tilt or tracking. When you turn the height knob sometimes you have to lightly nudge the roller down to get the belt on.

when you get the belt on roll it by hand to check tracking then turn the machine on then quickly off to set tracking. Tracking can be iffy on these machines so go slow.
    Last edited by mark kosse; 06-30-2016 at 1:14 PM.

I will get the number today. And also check belts. Thanks guys very much. With this forum, I always feel like I can accomplish anything.

Sam, your problem is probably one of two things; the upper drum isn't dropping sufficiently, or your eBay belts are undersized.
    You don't mention a model number but if it's like my Delta 52-611 the upper roller will lower a good 1/8" - 3/16" (see pics 3&4) after loosening the track knob and backing out the belt tension knob counter-clockwise. If yours is not lowering then it's probably gunked up or rusted.
    You do not want to run the sander with the belt excessively tight or you will fry the roller bearings.
    I have a PDF of the Owners Manual for my machine that goes through adjusting the belt. If you would like a copy PM me with your email address.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-30-2016 at 2:28 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I got it figured out. You won't even believe how stupid I am. Regardless. It's on now and works and tracks perfect.

What was the problem? It might help the next guy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney