Thread: Curio cabinet design

Curio cabinet design

I am interested in building something like this curio cabinet:

http://coolinterior.pro/wp-content/u...or-580x580.jpg

I have build some standard cabinet doors with the 1/4 inch groove and plywood or floating hardwood panels. With these glass designs, i'm assuming it would be a good idea to make the glass panels removable in case of breakage. I do have some french doors in the house with removable glass panels, but they are obviously thicker and allow for the trim pieces on one side to be removed in case the glass needs to be replaced. On this cabinet I was thinking of making the doors out of 4/4 stock planed down to 3/4.

How would you put a piece of glass in 3/4, but still make the glass removable and keep the door or panel looking nice from the inside?

What would the recommendation be for the corner posts. 8/4 Stock or 4/4 stock jointed at the corner made into an L shape?

A bigger reason to have the glass removable is that you get to apply finish to the wood, and then install the glass.

There are a zillion ways to secure the glass, but for wide muntins like your example, this would be my approach:

glasstop.jpg

This approach looks good when the door is open, unlike many approaches. It also does not involve driving nails or pins, which makes me nervous around glass.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-30-2016 at 12:02 PM.

...what Jamie said. Used it for wife's stained glass door panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    A bigger reason to have the glass removable is that you get to apply finish to the wood, and then install the glass.

There are a zillion ways to secure the glass, but for wide muntins like your example, this would be my approach:

glasstop.jpg

This approach looks good when the door is open, unlike many approaches. It also does not involve driving nails or pins, which makes me nervous around glass.
    That looks like a great idea. Thanks!

I did this one in cherry, all materials 3/4". If you are a Sketchup user, download the model and see what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    I did this one in cherry, all materials 3/4". If you are a Sketchup user, download the model and see what you think.
    That looks quite similar and it looks like it is per-portioned nicely. Do you have a sketchup file for download?

It's up on the 3D Warehouse, just search for Mission Curio Cabinet. Quite a few others have downloaded it.

The one I built has little halogen puck lights in a false ceiling, 1/4" glass shelves with polished front edges, and magnetic catches for the doors. Most of the joinery was Festool dominos.

Blog Entries
    I've used glass spline in 3/4" thick door frames to retain glass. Capture.JPGIt needs a .130" to .145" wide groove, which can be easily done with a router. It is pretty easy to do and it looks professional when you are done.

You can also secure the glass with short or continuous beads of clear silicone.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute