Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking magazines

Woodworking magazines

I am dredging up an old topic that I did a search on, and cannot seem to find any discussions less than 3-5 years old. I think this is relevant again.

On hand are hundreds of woodworking and some other magazines, dating back probably 15-20 years. I am not sure what to do with them all, especially considering the proliferation of information on the internet. With all of the Youtube videos, blogs, discussion forums like this one, Google Images and other resources I probably haven't even seen yet, I begin to question whether it's worth hanging on to them. Except for FWW Tools and Shops special issues, and the very infrequent cover article that catches my eye, it's rare for me to re-read any of these. I would guess that an issue might have one article or tip that I may use at some point during my life, and it seems to have gotten to the point where there's nothing "new" other than tool reviews. I find myself more and more getting away from print and going to digital media for research and reading material.

So as of mid-2016 - what would you guys do? I have considered going through each and every issue and scanning pages that might be of interest to me some day, but the time required to do such a thing is enormous. Another idea I saw is to cut the bindings off each one (effectively destroying the magazine) and then using a color duplexing scanner to scan the entire magazine to PDF. I probably can't sell them for anything, and recycling seems to be the most likely candidate. I've considered craigslist or eBay but the shipping cost is usually a deterrent to the purchase, even media mail.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    I have quite a sizable collection of WW magazines and articles, which has grown to the point where storage is a problem. Although I do enjoy pulling out an old magazine and re-reading it now and then, I mainly keep this library for all the project plans and woodworking tips, which I have cataloged by topic on my computer. That way I can search this database for whatever I'm looking for, then go to the physical file and retrieve the article. Although I personally place considerable value on this library, when I am dead and gone it will likely be go to the landfill. I am no longer adding to my collection, because most everything has already been written about woodworking, and not much that is new to me appears in current publications. I still peruse woodworking mags on the newsstand or in the bookstore, but it rarely leads to a purchase. I have decided NOT to subscribe to any WW magazines, both because I already have an extensive library and because I can usually find it on the Internet.

I just started going through so of my old ones and cutting out the articles I want as reference/ideas and putting them in clear plastic pages in a three ring binder. Most of the ones I keep are from FWW. It's basically my idea and reference book sitting on my desk. For me, that's easier than scanning and trying to find the article on my computer (assuming I can even remember having it). I flip through the binder (soon to be more than one) every once in a while, or when I use it for reference articles. I also print out photos of ideas I find on the Internet and throw them in my binder as well. I just like having a physical reference. Everything else is an Internet search. And I just cleared up a bunch of shelf space for more quality books.

I am in the same boat. Recently purchased FineWoodworking on DVD when on sale and tried to sell my FWW magazines on Craigslist but got no bites at all even with a giveaway price. Would like to replace my Woodsmith and Shop Notes magazines with DVDs also but they want $200 for the pair. Won't pay that. Guess I will cull through them and just keep issues or tear out parts with future value. Only magazine I still subscribe to is Woodsmith and will probably stop that at renewal time. My collection takes up too much space and weighs a "ton"!!!

There have actually been a couple very recent threads on this topic, but I could only find this one.

The other one I was thinking of was just in the last few weeks, and it had several responses. But darned if I can find it, etiher by visual or google search...

Edit: found the other post - was right next to the first one... doh!
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 06-30-2016 at 4:22 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Tough problem. I have both - 20 years of back issues of one mag I bought for $20. They take 2 full shelves. My general approach though is to buy the DVD collections. At Christmas, I bought the FWW DVD and the Woodwork DVD and read them on my tablet.

But.... I just subscribed to FWW in hardcopy, so go figure.
    FS

Its a topic I have been researching for a bit myself. Personally I have no interest in hard copies as storing them safely is too much of a space waster and pain. So I will only consider magazines that offer digital (PDF) versions that I can save on my computer. That said IMO the best deal is the collections most sell on DVDs that give you sometimes decades of issues in one shot for one flat price. You can even pick these up used sometimes on eBay and forums for a very good deal.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I was running out of space and recently dumped all my American Woodworker magazines after cutting out the useful articles. Freed up 18-24" of welcome shelf space. I'm keeping my Fine Woodworking magazines (back to issue #1), but the DVD compilation is tempting. I'll face that after dumping some of the other lesser titles.

What is this thing called Magazine.After 15 or 20 years the battery's are probably dead.

FWIW, I bought a Fujitsu SnapScan scanner about 5 years ago and have been scanning and burning everything made of paper in my house, including photos. The scanner was around $500 but it can hold 50 sheets at a time, of various sizes. It scans both sides, and it can create searchable PDFs. Now I can find any bit of paperwork (that used to be stored in multiple file cabinets) in about 5 seconds. New receipts/important documents go in a pile and get scanned every few weeks.

There are much cheaper scanners, but if you decide to go paperless, this is a great one. The hardest part of scanning was taking out the staples.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    A number of years ago I had a small collection of magazines for projects I might do in the future. One day I sat down and realized that I hadn't opened any of them in several years, so I took the whole pile to the recycle center. I found other uses for the space that they had occupied. I don't regret the decision.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    FWIW, I bought a Fujitsu SnapScan scanner about 5 years ago and have been scanning and burning everything made of paper in my house, including photos. The scanner was around $500 but it can hold 50 sheets at a time, of various sizes. It scans both sides, and it can create searchable PDFs. Now I can find any bit of paperwork (that used to be stored in multiple file cabinets) in about 5 seconds. New receipts/important documents go in a pile and get scanned every few weeks.

There are much cheaper scanners, but if you decide to go paperless, this is a great one. The hardest part of scanning was taking out the staples.
    I think this ^^^^ is probably going to be my solution. I have a lot of other stuff I could use that scanner for.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post

Best personal/consumer scanners on the market. I've an S1500 for years and LOVED it!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Cut out the articles which you think you might use some day and file them accordingly.

I gave the rest to the guys who run the maintenance shop in a local community. Maybe they used some of the articles/tips, and maybe they became bathroom reading. Either way, they were happy. And I have had ZERO days where I regretted dumping everything, except for a few select articles, which was more than five years old.

The reason you see complete collections of magazines (like FWW) offered for nothing is that is just about what they are worth. There are more people looking to dump them all than there are people looking to buy...or even take them for free. You can Google just about any topic and see the relevant issues/articles.

Blog Entries
    We are downsizing and I got rid of all my hard copy magazines. My wife ordered me DVD archives for every WW magazine she could find on the condition that I toss the hard copies. It's much more convenient for me to search the electronic versions.

I love my wife. She even ordered me an archive for Fine HomeBuilding that I had never subscribed to. I am a lucky man.

I still subscribe to Fine WoodWorking but in a few years, I will replace the archive and purge the hard copies. I just like holding the magazine in my hands the first time around.