Thread: Cabinet help

Cabinet help

Okay I tried to get an answer in my other post "frozen with indecision" but nothing. Let try again.

In remodeling my master bath I had to rush to build a vanity and install it. I built the carcass out of 3/4 ply with the intention of having three sections with two door each. Now that it is in and tile is installed my wife would like the two outside sections to have a vertical row of drawers with 3-5 drawers each.

My question which way would be best? Build a drawer box containing the slides and all harware and slide it in where I want the drawers? Then install the face frame.
    Or to build vertical supports into the existing carcass to hold the back of the drawer slides and just build a face frame and mount the slides to it and built back supports?

I haven't built the face frame yet.

One other question what thickness of wood do you usually use for your drawer sides and back?

I hope this is clearer and I will get some ideas.
    Ed
    Ed

Go to a cabinetry store and take a look at how they do drawers. The typical kitchen/bath drawer slides attach to the frace frame and to the case back. There are no dividers to worry about...and since you haven't made/installed the frace frame yet, you still have this option.

I'm guessing you have an older home....if yours is newer, you might see this in the existing cabinets.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Ed,
    Whenever I've built any cabinates with drawer I build two identical sets of face frames and put on on the back and the other on the front so I can attach the glides. In you case I guess that Id install some styles and rails in the back and then attach the face frames. Hope this helps.