Thread: Looking for recommendations for a respirator.

Looking for recommendations for a respirator.

I really need to get a respirator..I tried the paper ones but I wear glasses and they just steam up my glasses..Anyone have a recommendation for one that does'nt fog up glasses..?? I'm thinking maybe a face shield too..Welcome any thoughts on it..Thank you!!

Blog Entries
    U might want to check out the RZ masks. Google it

I just learned of these in another post here in on SMC the last couple days.

3. I use the Trend Airshield Pro PAPR unit. Cost is around $400, but it does a good job in my opinion, and you only get one pair of lungs. The impact rating is the same as the Bionic Faceshield. If getting a faceshield only, you can't hardly beat the Bionic......Amazon.com sells them about as reasonable as anyone. Both my Trend unit and my bionic have protected me from impact injury on different occasions.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I 2nd the trend. Expensive, yes...but I bought one for all the reasons you cited. It does a far better job on air quality than any paper mask I've tried, the circulating air is cooler, and my glasses don't fog up. I bought mine used from a fellow member for about half the price of new. Try the classified forum here if interested.

I use the bionic face shield and the 3m half face respirator 7500 series. It's a great respirator, fits under the face shield and doesn't fog up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    I use the bionic face shield and the 3m half face respirator 7500 series. It's a great respirator, fits under the face shield and doesn't fog up.
    I do too. I think that is the best combo. BUT you need to get the organic filters. While I am not an expert, my painter friend says if you can smell what you're doing, then your mask is not working. The organics is what is harmful. The 3m stops even the CA vapors. Love it love it love it.

When sanding I use the Resp-O-Rator, two hepa filters and when you exhale it is directed downward. A lot lighter than my Airshield Pro for sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Demler View Post
    I really need to get a respirator..I tried the paper ones but I wear glasses and they just steam up my glasses..Anyone have a recommendation for one that does'nt fog up glasses..?? I'm thinking maybe a face shield too..Welcome any thoughts on it..Thank you!!
    This is my favorite, been using one for many years, I have four in the shop. Fits under my face shields, industrial P100 particulate filters, inexpensive. I find it comfortable, easy to put on and remove, easier than the paper masks, light weight. I use these in the shop and around the farm when doing dusty work (such as blowing the dust out of llama coats before shearing.)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FTEDMM

respirator.jpg

Some woodturners like these, a bit lower profile, fits nicely under a face shield. It seems to work fine but I prefer the one above.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILFKRUO

A lot of woodturners seem to be using these so I got some for my shop and for visiting students. Very light weight, excellent visibility.
    face_shield_bionic.jpg
    This one is cheaper:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VXXUWK

This one is more expensive but claims anti scratch/fog coating:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VY3ACE

JKJ

I've tried a lot of masks over the years and they always seem to have one of two problems: they fog my glasses or they interfere with my glasses resting properly on my nose.

I tried this one about a year ago and it's my favorite now: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/e...dust-mask.aspx Doesn't fog glasses at all, even working when working in a cold attic. Slight interference where glasses rest on nose, but less so than any other mask I've tried.

It fits fine under the bionic face shield, is soft and comfortable, and light weight compared to others I've tried.

Thanks for raising this question because it's apparent my respirator and face protection equipment was sorely deficient. Taking a step toward improving things I ordered the following.

Uvex Bionic Face Shield with Clear Polycarbonate visor and Anti-fog/Hard Coat
    3M Half Facepiece Respirator Assembly
    Ellipse P100 Dust Mask

I ordered the Ellipse primarily because it looks like it would be more comfortable. Filters for the 3M respirator are less expensive though. I'll try them both and see which one I like. I wear glasses some of the times so that might be an issue.

I also use the Bionic/3M 7500 combination. Even with my beard I get a good seal on my face and find it surprisingly comfortable to wear for long periods of time. That said, my shop is climate controlled so I am not wearing the half mask in 95 degree heat or anything.

I just got the Ellipse P100 Dust Mask from leevalley, and like it much better than the 3m that I was using before. It is also more comfortable and you should enjoy it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    I just got the Ellipse P100 Dust Mask from leevalley, and like it much better than the 3m that I was using before. It is also more comfortable and you should enjoy it.
    Bob, thanks for posting the note on that dust mask. I have a little side hobby collecting and trying different respirators and dust masks but I haven't tried that model. I found one on Amazon.

Have you tried the full-face industrial respirators? I use one mostly when spraying chemicals but discovered an unanticipated use one day. I came home to a cloud of smoke from where a guy down the hill had accidentally (and stupidly) set the woods on fire. It was moving toward my farm so I jumped on the tractor to cut some fire breaks and took a 3M full face respirator with me - it was amazing how well it kept the smoke out of my eyes!

JKJ