Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Office - lots of pics

Nice work, Gail. I would recommend you get yourself an HVLP turbine if you are going to do more of this type of thing. It will cut your finish time by a 2/3, and increase the quality of the finish. Target coatings make some great water based products for spraying. A Cat (catalyzed) Varnish is a very durable top coat. I tend to use it on table tops and wet areas. I like regular lacquer for most other stuff -- cheaper, and I can pour what I don't use back in the bottle. With catalyzed finishes you have to discard what you don't use. But this is for another thread.
    Great work, keep it coming.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Nice work Gail. It's pretty cool that you were given the whole room to tie together. I bet that was fun to design for. Everything looks really sharp.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Too guilty, have to post the ooops

You have all been so thoughtful in your comments, so I have to post the oops...

See the door hitting the cabinet? Well, once the customer saw this they were PLEASED - because then the little twins couldn't crush each other behind the door...a problem lately, so I wasn't able to fix it (only about 2" overlap)....I talked with them several times and they insisted to leave it...

me, well, I will always have the bad feeling about it. I made it clear that I would come at any point and rectify the situation should their needs change.

So, I had to come clean...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent, Gail!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gail,

I've been painting a lot of cabinetry lately, and IMHO (don't you hate those internet forum abreviations?) spraying is the ONLY way to go. Once I finally invested in a gun, I kicked, kicked, and then kicked myself again for not buying one years ago! The time is cut by at least 2/3's, and the quality of finish is much better. On top of that, you'll be shocked by how easy it is. Do read up a little on spraying basics before your first job however.

There's been much discussion on SMC about this HVLP conversion gun, and so far everything has been very positive, including the price. I've sprayed all sorts of finishes with it, and all have sprayed extremely well. It's not an industrial quality gun, and I don't know how long it will hold up under constant use, but for $129 it's a great way to get started.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

Hope this helps.

Gail,

Looks great! I'm gonna have to save this thread because I plan on something similar. Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Pete

It's all very attractive, as well as efficient use of space, and will make the office pleasant to work in. Really nice job.

GAil,
    It is my understanding that catalized varnish is the defualt top coat on nearly all kitchen cabinets becuase of its durability and washability. It has no solvents once dried. If you want to take it off, get out the sandpaper. Dries in about 20-30 minutes, full hard in 24 hours, if I am not mistaken. When I need that done, I send it out to a finisher. It is a 2 part product that much be mixed very carefully.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Excellent job!! It has a nice, clean look to it. Do you plan on adding hardware to the doors and drawers?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

very nice Gail. Dont let my wife see that!! She will have me redoing the office by next weekend!!

Gail,

Very nice. That took alot of planning. Do you use a software program for designing?
    Les