Thread: And, for today's skimpy Pickings..

And, for today's skimpy Pickings..

Only a single yard sale was open this morning ( was another, but they had been open all week) finally got to go out and look it over. Cardboard tray in the driveway. paper sign said $1 each.....picked through, found two items worth the effort to pick up. Paid my two bucks ,and went home...via Wallie World....

The items?
    IMAG0003.jpg
    That BIG saw is just a Worth No. 40....Butcher's saw. Might be of some use in the shop...
    That little saw? Just might be worth the trip. Seems to be a Disston No. 7 Keyhole saw.....
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Medallion is flush with the surface, handle has NO cracks...seems complete. Blade even has an etch..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Nothing real fancy, just a straight two lines of letters....."H Disston & Sons" Philada
    Sorry, those are not split nuts.
    IMAG0004.jpg
    As for the Worth's bolts. They go through the very thick frame. Kind of domed on this side though. Both sets of teeth seem to be quite sharp. I might give the Disston's a fine tuning.

Not too bad a day...for $2?

Been trying to research both of these saw.....coming up empty unless it is for sale sort of thing.....Handle on the Disston SEEMS to be the original one. Haven't a clue about the Worth saw.....other than it is a Brand from P. S. & W.

Butcher's saw can wait awhile, have this $1 Disston to clean up. Haven't found anything on Disston's Keyhole saws, the medallion seems to be from the 1870s?
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Seems to be the original handle, too. Handle didn't have so much as a scratch on it. Gave it a light sanding, then a coat of BLO.
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Sorry, seems to have been made AFTER split nuts were done away with. Shanks on these bolts are a little thinner then more modern ones.
    Not too bad, for a $1?

Still a much nicer keyhole than any I have found.

Gonna wax that handle?

I keep finding C.Disston meat saws. Only brought two of them home. I need to go pro here to start trading stuff. Club meets are too few and far in between.

Handle does have a coat of wipe-on, wipe-off BLO on it.

Tried the Butcher's saw out as a crosscut.......cuts very fast.

Out on the toe end of the Butcher's saw.....looks like the "pin" is/was a bolt of some sort? Not sure how to remove it, to work on the saw's teeth. Nothing to grab onto.....maybe use the "Easy-out" bit?
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Maybe a thumbscrew used to be there? Bolts in the handle seem to be "Domed".....
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Other side have slots in the bolts....hoping they ARE bolts, and not rivets. Wingnut is freed up.

That BIG saw is just a Worth No. 40....Butcher's saw. Might be of some use in the shop..

Clean up that saw and blade. Buy a standing rib roast and cut your own steaks between the rib bones. Grill out. You'll love those steaks.

Was wondering IF that Worth saw blade could be made to work in a frame/bow saw? There is a bunch of set to them teeth.....and they be sharp. Too wide for a Turning saw.....but maybe a frame saw?