Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrofit router lighting?

Retrofit router lighting?

I'd like to put LED lighting in my Festool router, like the LEDs in my DeWalt laminate trimmer. In the past few months there has been some discussion here about this, but try as I might, I can't find that thread. So would y'all repeat your suggestions/experience?

2. On the Router Forum their is a series of articles by Harry Sin showing some of the things he has done. One is very elaborate but very efficient. He wrote a couple of very good articles about some of his projects with lighting the router. I don't know why all the manufacturers don't just include built in lighting other than to save $$$$$$

I think most workers would find lights in routers useless. I can't think of one instance, and I use routers a lot, where a light would be helpful.

I attached one of the 1" dia Harbor Freight 9 LED flashlights to the side of one of my routers with Velcro to do some free-hand sign engraving. Using the Velcro on an angled part of the router allows re-positioning of the light and easy removal of it for storage later. It worked quite well for me, and the light provided a very bright light on the work area at a cost of about $2 for both the flashlight and the Velcro strip. Harry Sin (short for Sinclair) gave me the idea, but I was never able to locate the metal spring clips that he used to attach these same flashlights to his routers (he lives in Austrailia). I gave up looking here and just used the Velcro, which worked very well for me.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 07-08-2016 at 8:24 PM.

5. A light on a router is very helpful when making free hand signs which is what I use a router for mostly.

Oh, I realize there is a use for lights on routers for some. I was explaining why manufacturers aren't going to raise costs for the other 99.99% of routers.

Maybe that would give you some ideas.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm surprised that high dollar festool does not come with a light.

Mike, great minds (?) think alike. A couple of months ago I modified my Kent dust shoe and installed a 100mm light ring. I love the extra light, especially when taking a light 3d cut where you don't need the DC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jamie
    I used a small led flashlight with a gooseneck and velcroed it to the side of the router. works great and is about the size of an aa battery and under 10 bucks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Mike, great minds (?) think alike. A couple of months ago I modified my Kent dust shoe and installed a 100mm light ring. I love the extra light, especially when taking a light 3d cut where you don't need the DC.
    How is this useful on a CNC? I do a lot of 3D (well, 2.5D) carvings on my CNC - and I have never felt the need to see the bit. Of course, when I first GOT the CNC, I'd stand and watch it cut, but within a week or two, that fascination wore off. Now my CNC does its thing while I'm doing other things - no visual contact required.

I can see how a light on a hand held router would be useful - but I just don't get the utility of it on a CNC (or a table mounted router for that matter).

There may indeed be a good use for it, and I'm just ignorant of what it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S Stockton View Post
    Jamie
    I used a small led flashlight with a gooseneck and velcroed it to the side of the router. works great and is about the size of an aa battery and under 10 bucks
    Tom
    Tom, that's what I'm going to try. I've ordered up a couple of small gooseneck flashlights, and I'll see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    How is this useful on a CNC? I do a lot of 3D (well, 2.5D) carvings on my CNC - and I have never felt the need to see the bit. Of course, when I first GOT the CNC, I'd stand and watch it cut, but within a week or two, that fascination wore off. Now my CNC does its thing while I'm doing other things - no visual contact required.

I can see how a light on a hand held router would be useful - but I just don't get the utility of it on a CNC (or a table mounted router for that matter).

There may indeed be a good use for it, and I'm just ignorant of what it may be.
    Roy, there's probably no practical value other than my eyes aren't as good as they use to be. My cnc is used for hobby work, and piddling, as my wife likes to call it, is something I enjoy doing. As they say, different strokes for different folks. What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same things.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It's the ONE thing I have always wanted from festool. I use my festool 1010 for routing channels for inlay borders. It's pretty precise work. The router shields a huge amount of light from the business end. A built in LED light would make this almost perfect router perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Roy, there's probably no practical value other than my eyes aren't as good as they use to be. My cnc is used for hobby work, and piddling, as my wife likes to call it, is something I enjoy doing. As they say, different strokes for different folks. What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same things.
    Yes, Sir - I understand what it is to have failing eyes. And I'm all over the different strokes for different folks thing - but I don't understand what you're trying to see (or what practical value it has once you DO see it) with these lights on a CNC.

That said - it makes no difference to me if you like lights on your CNC router, I'm just trying to understand if there's something I'm missing while using mine.