Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curved Wainscot

Curved Wainscot

Al: Did you receive the pictures I sent to your email address? The strips make more work and the seams might show. I did not want to machine the panel, rail, and stiles after they were curved, so did that operation first. The springback was very small, so it fit together well. There is a little work making the forms and steam boxes, but it is just plywood and 2 x 4's. It does not take long. I used bending poplar on the face of the form and drew where each piece is positioned. As I previously mentioned, the panels are very easy to bend. The stiles won't need bending, the rails are positioned along the blocks screwed onto the bending form. One other suggestion is to draw the pieces on the wall where they will be installed. This will give you all the measurements and angles. Then bend the pieces so they match the drawing.
    Don

Curved wainscot

Don,
    Yes I did receive the pics, thank you. I'll have to mull this one over a little more.
    Al

For what it's worth, I have long ago declined any jobs that had budget and time constraints or both.
    Your current proposal also includes a fair modicum of risk in that the request is beyond the limits of most commercial materials.
    I wish you well with the project but to be honest I have strong reservations about accepting the clients criteria for complex jobs.

A pal of mine is on the way to court for a kitchen that changed dynamically and daily as the housewife became designer and architect as the job progressed, He has essentially built her two kitchens and she is still unhappy.
    She also feels she should not have to pay for the changes she made.
    Yes, there were drawings but trying to accomodate a client can be dangerous.

Regards
    Bob

Curved Wainscot

Bob: It is not much of a risk if you have the experience doing it. Part of the fun in woodworking is it is a constant learning experience. I agree with you that you might not want to have a firm quote on a job for a task of high difficulty. This one is with Poplar, so is not difficult. Doing it in kiln dried Mahogany was a high risk as you are not supposed to be able to bend kiln dried wood due to the plasticizing of the lignum in the drying process. It is fun to learn ways to accomplish things that "can't be done", but not while on a fixed budget. Too easy to lose money taking those risks.

I agree with you Don but this does not appear to be the case here or am I reading the original question wrong?
    P.s. Experience makes most things easier. <g>

Bob

If this is going to be painted you can buy flex moulding from pretty much anywhere on teh internet and a lot of lumber yards. Resinart is one manufacturer. The stuff is heavy look wood but plyable. Youcan buy it in sheets or in stock. I would suggest buying some stock of it and milling it the same as the stiles and railes when you are milling those. It mills teh same as wood, no special tools. Then buy a few sheets of the same material and cut it and make your raised panels. All of it is flexible so youassemble it the exact same way as the rest.

Curved Wainscot

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oswin
    I agree with you Don but this does not appear to be the case here or am I reading the original question wrong?
    P.s. Experience makes most things easier. <g>

Bob
    You are correct in the way you read it, but Al is drawing on my experience that doing this project in Poplar is not difficult. I realize he has not done this before, but has the job opportunity and will have good results that he can expand upon for future jobs.
    </g>

Good luck to you both then.
    Bob

Wink Curved Wainscot

Hey Guys,
    I agree with all of you. But if we were to some degree not up to the challenge, WHY ARE WE STILL SELF EMPLOYED! I realize this may be out of my current experience, but that is what learning and obtaining experience is all about. With guys like you and all who have submitted suggestions we continue to grow. Besides it's only money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al

Thank you all for your help!