Thread: New Pics of 2 kinds of tables...Oak & Walnut/Maple

New Pics of 2 kinds of tables...Oak & Walnut/Maple

Hi everyone,

I took some photo's of some pieces I finished recently ( 2 different tables ) and I might have posted them before but I thought I would post these new pics. Hope you like them

Maple and Walnut Table.
    I shot the photos outside when the sun was behind the house ( about 3pm ) I pinned some black velvet to the fence and that was it, very easy way to shoot your work and you can clean up the black in Photoshop quickly.

Oak and Cement/Steel Table.

Same thing as last set. I edited the images in Photoshop and made a collage of images then saved them as a tiff ( from there you can make them any file you want )

thanks for looking

Thanks for the pics, John. You do some incredible work. The maple in your table top is great. I like your easy photo solution, too. I've been shooting pictures on a black (faded to dark navy) towel. Like you, I've found the black background is very easy to work with in Photoshop, but I've been planning to grab some velvet next time I'm at the fabric store. I also like (and will likely borrow) your collage idea. It's an efficient way to show a lot of views in a compact space.

Thanks again -

- Vaughn

Nice work John. On the Maple/walnut table legs, did you have to laminate the legs? Seems to be a horiz. line on the top and bottom photos, but it may just be the light. What are the dimensions of the leg stock and the feet? Very clean appearance. Looks like hte legs are curved on three sides, with the straight middles forming a parallel. Am I seeing that right? Or is it just one face each which is curved?

I also like the mixed media table. I am guessing that it will withstand quite a wind force.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

the maple and walnut table is simply awesome!

John,

Just great work! I really like the maple and walnut table!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

John,

Those are BOTH fantastic looking pieces! Don't believe I've ever seen such pretty Maple and I love the syling of them as well. Great photo shoot, too!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

Great work. The grain orientation of the table top is really stunning. These are the third tables of yours I've seen and I think you have harnessed the idea of allowing the wood grain to "speak". Yowzaaaa!

I have always liked the idea of mixing mediums. I would have thought that the "cement" pieces would be grainier. What form/method/staining did you go through to acheive the final product?

Cheers,

KP

Absolutely beautiful John. I can't decide which one I like best...so I'll just quit trying!
    Did you use Miller dowels on the Oak piece?

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Nice work John. On the Maple/walnut table legs, did you have to laminate the legs? Seems to be a horiz. line on the top and bottom photos, but it may just be the light. What are the dimensions of the leg stock and the feet? Very clean appearance. Looks like hte legs are curved on three sides, with the straight middles forming a parallel. Am I seeing that right? Or is it just one face each which is curved?

I also like the mixed media table. I am guessing that it will withstand quite a wind force.
    Hey Allen,

the legs are solid ...I think they were 12/4 or maybe 16/4 ? anyway they are curved on 3 sides and flat on the middle edge.

yea those cement pices get heavy but actually the cement is only 1/4"

I love them both, quite unique and elegant.

Great ideas for different designs.

Excellent! Those just look great. Thanks for the pics.

Corey

I remember the Oak/Cement project from awhile back...the final product really looks great. The other table is also an eye-turner!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...