Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

Building my 2nd CNC first, I hope. I have been researching for over a year, read a thousand threads and articles, and am hopefully building my 'second machine' for my first. There is still a ton to learn and that process will probably never stop. Of this I am certain, I will be in new territory for a while. For over 40 years I have been building things, doing hydraulics, pneumatics, and electronics builds and troubleshooting along with a lot of woodworking but have never used or built a CNC machine. This is going to be fun!!

The machine is a new model by Nate at Fine Line Automation. It's a 'pro' series he calls Saturn and it is very heavy. Shipping weight was 525 lbs. for this 2'x4' model. Take away the OxBox and pallet and it's probably still 475 lbs. The frame is welded and stress relieved steel, powder coated Pantone 305. It has THK style linear bearings, rack and pinion drive, and the components are anodized black 6061 aluminum. I have a 3 Kw water cooled spindle and NEMA 34 stepper motors ready to mount. I'll be using the Hitachi WJ200-022SF VFD to drive the spindle. The actual cutting area is 28”x52” with 10” Z travel.

The first order of business, now that it's here, was clearing out enough space in our shop for two CNC machines (our shop is the attached two-car garage). It has to set in one place while I build the stand where it will actually reside, so space for two in an already crowded shop. I'll be building a frame with 2x4's and maybe a couple of 2x6's. Then I need about 5 large friends to help me carry the CNC over to the stand.

Picked up from FedEx and barely fit on a friend's trailer -

OxBox container removed and setting on the pallet until I get the stand built -

A few close-ups –

Next step will be a trip to Lowe's for 2x4's and then make some sawdust.

Hope you enjoy the ride with me!
    David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Nice looking machine.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Nice looking machine, but why 10" of Z when it looks like you have maybe 4-6" of clearance under the carriage? By the time you mount a table and spoil board on that you won't have need for so much Z.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Nice looking machine.
    Thanks, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Nice looking machine, but why 10" of Z when it looks like you have maybe 4-6" of clearance under the carriage? By the time you mount a table and spoil board on that you won't have need for so much Z.
    Thanks, Brian! It's actually 7" clearance but I'd rather have more Z travel than I need as opposed to wishing it was 'just a little more...'
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Extra Z travel can come in handy. Suppose you had 6" of clearance under the gantry. Suppose your router bit extended 3" past the collet. In order to retract the bottom of the bit so that it is higher than the bottom of the gantry, you now need about 9" of Z travel.

I have a vertical mounting board on my CNC so that I can clamp a board vertically and cut dovetails on the end. I built my Z slide to have 14" of travel so that I could lift it high enough to cut the end of a 48" board. I haven't had to do a 48" board yet, but since I was building my own Z slide, why not go bigger.. I have done ends of boards that were higher than the bottom of my gantry though.

So there's two reasons why it might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Phillips View Post
    Extra Z travel can come in handy. Suppose you had 6" of clearance under the gantry. Suppose your router bit extended 3" past the collet. In order to retract the bottom of the bit so that it is higher than the bottom of the gantry, you now need about 9" of Z travel.

I have a vertical mounting board on my CNC so that I can clamp a board vertically and cut dovetails on the end. I built my Z slide to have 14" of travel so that I could lift it high enough to cut the end of a 48" board. I haven't had to do a 48" board yet, but since I was building my own Z slide, why not go bigger.. I have done ends of boards that were higher than the bottom of my gantry though.

So there's two reasons why it might be useful.
    That's what I was thinking, Biff. I plan on leaving a section free for clamping vertical pieces, as well, and I know the extra Z travel will come in handy.
    David

I am really interested in these CNC machines and spoke to the guy once, has not returned any of my calls since 1.5 weeks ago. I was wondering what width of pallet was your machine on, was it 48" wide?

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    I am really interested in these CNC machines and spoke to the guy once, has not returned any of my calls since 1.5 weeks ago. I was wondering what width of pallet was your machine on, was it 48" wide?
    52" wide by 63" long. Send Nate an email - sales@finelineautomation.com. He works a full time job during the day and does this on nights and weekends so he is sometimes hard to reach.
    David

Nate did send me an email. The 4 x 4 is massive size and weight.

Nate did send me an email. The 4 x 4 is massive size and weight.
    Good. I can only imagine how stout that must be but it is a seriously rigid machine and that's what I wanted. There's no way a 4 x 4 would fit in my shop or I would have opted for that one.
    David

Any more wired up or built?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Any more wired up or built?
    I wish! The spindle mount shipped today via 2-day so I should have it Tuesday. I did pick up the 18/4 shielded cable for wiring the stepper motors, though. But I can't wire those until I get my enclosure build and on the stand. Though it likely wasn't necessary I readjusted all the moving parts to my liking for tolerances and tightened all the bolts. In other words, nothing worthy of posting...
    David

Some parts to consider
    Coolant for the spindle
    Leak proof disconnects for your coolant hose
    Flow indicator inline with coolant hose
    Wiring for the fans on your radiator/pumpvassembly
    Kentcnc dudt shoe
    Few er20 collets

your project is looking really nice. What will you do for a top?

your project is looking really nice. What will you do for a top?
    Thanks, Ed!

I'll start with two layers of 3/4" MDF and learn on that. I may add T-tracks at some point or recessed threaded inserts but may not do that right away. What do you recommend, Ed?
    David