Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    David,

Looks like you have a really nice machine. All of the work and planning has paid off, I hope you enjoy your upcoming projects and the changes the machine will bring to your fabrication routines.

Great Job!!!
    Thanks, Keith!! I have a few issues to clear up but I'll just do those as I get time; I'm ready to make things!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

I guess technically the build is complete but there are still a few things I associate with 'the build', like dust control. Tonight I ran a 7' piece of 4" PVC for dust collection and connected it to my partially complete dust shoe. A friend is suppose to be getting me some clear vinyl so I'm holding off ordering anything to complete the dust shoe.

The hose reaches the extents of the X, Y, and Z travel but I need to work on securing it so it doesn't flop around. At this point I'm not certain what I'll come up with for that, though - just started thinking about it.

I'm still not accustomed to coming up with a design/idea, being able to draw it in Fusion 360, and then be cutting it out a short while later. It's a given that we all do that with the other tools in our shops but this is just a bit different for me and it's still pretty cool!

I had some scrap 5/8" MDF and 2x4 so that's what I made these brackets out of, then painted them Ferrari Red, Yellow, and Black (that's important, btw - LOL!).

Anyway, here's what I have to this point -

David

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I took up the flop around with a long spring from Lowes that goes from the ceiling to a large dog collar around the hose. It works well for me. I can post a pic.
    Just an FYI, the Kent dust shoe people also sell just the bristle strip in two different sizes if you want to make your own shoe.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I took up the flop around with a long spring from Lowes that goes from the ceiling to a large dog collar around the hose. It works well for me. I can post a pic.
    Just an FYI, the Kent dust shoe people also sell just the bristle strip in two different sizes if you want to make your own shoe.
    Thanks, Bruce - yes, please post a photo. I did see that the Kent folks offer the strip brush but I'm waiting to see if my friend comes through with the clear vinyl strip first.
    David

I used a simple large size dog collar from PetSmart. My intent was to help lift some of the hose weight off of the Z drive and to keep the hose suspended throughout the gantry movement range. I also fabricated an aluminum plate to carry the hose up above the spindle.
    Just some ideas to ponder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a nice setup, Bruce. I was thinking a spring of some sort might work so it helps to see how yours is set up. Thanks!
    David

Looks great. Good luck with the shoe. I attached a piece of angle to my spindle mount and it holds the hose up high snough. I velcro tied it to the angle iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Looks great. Good luck with the shoe. I attached a piece of angle to my spindle mount and it holds the hose up high snough. I velcro tied it to the angle iron.
    Thanks, Mike! Velcro may well come into the picture on mine, as well.

After running the PVC pipe and connecting the hose to the dust shoe, yet to be completed, I needed a way to manage the hose movement. I worked through several mockups before deciding on making this mount out of 1/2" Baltic Birch. I'll try it for a while and see how it does but the first thing I need to do is make a collar of some sort so the hose doesn’t slip down. It won’t actually be that big of a deal because I imagine most of my work is going to be in the first 24” of the table and the hose doesn’t move in that area.

David

David,

I would use a piece of rigid pipe, 4" metal spiral, or PVC as you like that already, for the first piece above the dust shoe and through your upper mount. It can slide up and down with the Z movement, but the plastic hose would then be above the mount and not have any issue with catching or needing to be tied to the mount.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Another suggestion given to me by one of the tech gurus at Camaster was to run a copper ground wire through your hose & PVC pipe. Connect the ground wire to an external ground, do NOT connect it to the CNC.
    Woodstock W1053 Grounding Kit for Dust Collection Systems

Andy Rooney

That's what I did instead of ridged pipe.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    David,

I would use a piece of rigid pipe, 4" metal spiral, or PVC as you like that already, for the first piece above the dust shoe and through your upper mount. It can slide up and down with the Z movement, but the plastic hose would then be above the mount and not have any issue with catching or needing to be tied to the mount.
    I thought about doing that, Brian, but the 10' piece I bought was just enough to do what I needed for this run. I'd have to buy another 10' just to get that 2' I need. I'd probably use the remaining 8' somewhere and likely soon but I'll just use it like this for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Another suggestion given to me by one of the tech gurus at Camaster was to run a copper ground wire through your hose & PVC pipe. Connect the ground wire to an external ground, do NOT connect it to the CNC.
    Woodstock W1053 Grounding Kit for Dust Collection Systems
    Thanks, Bruce! I do need to run that ground wire, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

That's what I did instead of ridged pipe.
    Nice looking setup, Mike!
    David

Quick update - I said I needed a way to keep the hose from falling down toward the spindle so what I came up with is a hose retaining nut, left hand threads, of course... Yeah, they didn't know what one was at Lowe's, either

It's possible I could add a second one below the mount and maybe hold the hose in place better but I don't think the little bit of movement will be a problem. I could also put a retainer clip on the 'nut' and hold it in place but again, this probably won't be an issue.

David

This isn't really part of the build except that I was testing not only the machine's ability to engrave small letters, 0.25" high, but my ability to do it in Fusion 360 which is definitely NOT friendly to this sort of thing. I saw this small piece of Honduras Mahogany and thought it would be a good test and it turns out the machine had no issues at all with this. I may try smaller just for grins - larger won't be an issue. But one of the things I plan on using this CNC for is inlay work on guitars so I need to know it will perform well on small, intricate, delicate pieces of wood and Abalone (or Mother of Pearl).

Here's a short video of my test -
    David

I have used this hose for the past 8 years now and never had a problem no wire required

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...20HD/203626495