Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tool - A dry erase board

New tool - A dry erase board

I have recently decided a dry erase board would be a good addition to the shop, so I picked up a 24x30 one at Staples yesterday. Right now it just has some shop projects written on it that I want to get done, but I see it being useful for shopping lists, writing measurements, checking math, rough sketching, etc.

Prior to that, I would would write things on a piece of paper or a piece of wood, but the inevitable result is losing them or using them for another purpose.

I am not sure how other people handle things like this, but for me this seems like a really good way to quickly notate and idea or jot down something I need before I forget it.

Robby

I have a magnetic dry erase board in my garage/shop. I use it to scribble measurements, notes and hang pictures of projects on. Works great.

I have a section of slate blackboard so as not to clash with my old iron

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I have a section of slate blackboard so as not to clash with my old iron
    Lol, god forbid!

I see pictures of workshops all the time and I am actually surprised I don't see things like this more often. I also look for workshop ideas on Pinterest and so far I have never seen ways to jot things down.

Maybe everyone else just uses tried and true pencil and paper.

Robby

I've had one in my shop for years...I don't use it much, but it can be handy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have one in my shop and use it. I also have a spiral notebook that I make notes in and write down dimensions.

Everyone finds a way to do this that works best for them.

I use mine to list items I need to buy on the next trip to the BORG or woodworking store. I also list what/who on the rare occasions I lend tools. My son knows to use it when he borrows something so as to keep the old man sane. Or maybe not......
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    I am not sure how other people handle things like this, but for me this seems like a really good way to quickly notate and idea or jot down something I need before I forget it.
    I have one in my shop about the same size. I use it for notes and things. I also use it when teaching woodturning, welding, etc. (Duh!) Colored markers in both standard and fine sizes are helpful.

Mine isn't fastened to a wall because wall space is too valuable, but I have it in a frame where I can move it.

Another one is in the barn for To-Do tasks.

JKJ

I have one the same size on the wall in my shop. I use it for every project to keep measurements and visual aids of the pieces I'm currently working on. It helps immensely in my opinion.

I used to have an 8' white board on a wall in my shop. I would do initial design for several things at once. Very handy for that. However, I needed the wall space for shelf storage so I cut the board into 3rds. It's waiting on me to get around to building easels so I can use them again for design.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have one in my shop, too. I got a piece of cheap Plexiglas about 36" x 36", painted the back white, screwed it to the wall and put a quick frame around it. I use it all the time to keep track of what I am doing or need to get.

Of course, I'm a teacher....

I have a small dry erase board in my shop. I glued magnetic sheet to the back of the board so it sticks to any metal surface and is easy to move around my shop. Most of the time it stays on the back side of my band saw which makes it convenient for keeping notes for my CNC Router and when I'm using the rotary attachment on my laser engraver. I have a large dry erase board in my shop office upstairs that has a magnetic surface so I can stick business letters and important notes on it with magnets.

I have one in my shop that is about that same size. It can be very handy and I use it mostly or the things you mention. Remembering critical measurements, checking math, etc.

Couple years back I picked up 4x6 unit - very handy. $20 from a office building that was being gutted.

Jim