Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help on Jointer Choice

That Grizzly has a 4" dust port, and the Oliver has a 6" port. That's going to make for a pretty significant difference in how effectively you pick up the dust.

I haven't used either of those machines, but I have a 12" Laguna jointer with a helical cutterhead, and it sure is nice to have that much capacity. Mine has the 88" bed, like the Oliver. While it does take some space, the length is nice to have when you are trying to face joint a long 12" wide board.

OK, I'll say it - get a used machine. Find yourself a used MiniMax, Hammer, or Felder, or some old NA iron, or even a Grizzly, and you will never regret it. It'll cost no more than half the price of new. I'm not sold on the need for helical heads on a jointer, so that made my decision to go used easy. When you buy used you get to see and test the machine and walk away if you don't like what you see. When you buy new, you generally don't get to see your machine until you already own it.

If you buy new, I wouldn't let the Baldor motor sway me one way or the other. The Grizzly is $800 cheaper. A new motor can't cost that much, and chances are you'll never need one. If you are hobbiest you almost certainly never will.

John

Buying used is easier said than done. I've been looking on Craigslist, on the industrial machine websites, eBay, etc., for nearly a year now. Plenty of 6 and 8 inch machines out there, and some 12 and 16 inch, but the problem is finding a decent 12" single phase that doesn't need a ton of restoration and doesn't have the cost of a used Northfield – my dream jointer. Yes, you can get a Northfield in single phase.

Anyway, I've gotten close and even missed a few, but that configuration is hard to come by. I've almost pulled the trigger on few 3 phase machines, but the cost of getting one in working order – phase converter, restoration, and just getting it to my location always makes me hesitant and then they're gone.

Nevertheless, I'm still looking. In fact, I recently picked up a very nice mid-50s 12" Powermatic planer in great condition off of Craigslist less than 15 miles from where I live, and made a new friend to boot. There was no hesitation on that one.

For about $250 you can put a VFD on a three phase motor. Just budget it into the deal. Much better and fewer problems with three phase. Dave

+1 for finding a used machine for all the reasons others have listed, especially seeing the actual machine before you buy. If you get on the mailing lists for some of the industrial auction houses one will show up quickly.

Old school wood shops are always closing - I get a post card a couple times a month and there's almost always a nice old joiner - they just don't wear out.

I have had a Go609 for several years, added a byrd cutterhead, but would go with the grizzly helical as they have straight cutters, and you would not lose the ability to cut a rabbit joint, but the only trouble I have had is a set screw coming loose on the motor pulley. Might put some locktite on it next time. I use the jointer to flatten rough sawn boards, and it is a beast. Get a good push block for safety.