Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta Love The Scammers!

Gotta Love The Scammers!

I have been on the lookout for a newer Goldwing. Mine is 20 years old, and I'm thinking it's time to get something newer. While I'm in the market for a '06-10, sometimes an ad just catches my eye.

Can you spot what's wrong with this ad?
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is no link to the ad? Is that what is wrong?

Color in pic and description are inconsistent?

I don't recall ever see a diesel Gold Wing. Maybe it's got a used VW motor.

Oh I know, motorcycles have 2 wheels, not 3! Lol, J/k trike fans

LOL Wow. I think I need to get one of these! There are several things wrong with this ad!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

"Title Status: Salvage." - I would guess that's a problem. (unless that's why it was used for the conversion, I guess.)

Also the bike isn't silver, and the wheels aren't chrome.

Also, I'm not quite sure what the Statue of Liberty has to do with a Japanese motorcycle, but it sure does make me feel all patriotic & stuff! Yeehaw.....
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 07-11-2016 at 10:37 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The GL1800 was first released in 2001.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Color.
    'Tis a 'Wing Trike, not a 'Wing.
    GL1800 is a 21st century bike, any 'Wing built in '95 was a GL1500. Still a flat 6 though.

That's what jumped out at me right off the bat, without actually reading the text.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Yeah 95 would be a 1500. Automatic tranny, diesel, color is different.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

it DOES say 'trike' towards the bottom.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's from a scammer. Probably more of a "flipper" that doesn't know a Goldwing from a Redwing...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    it DOES say 'trike' towards the bottom.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's from a scammer. Probably more of a "flipper" that doesn't know a Goldwing from a Redwing...
    Agreed. The ad doesn't throw up the usual scam red flags. Just a couple errors likely.

Think about how many tools for sale we've all seen that are poorly or incorrectly described, so turn out quite well for the buyer. Just have to be safe and knowledgeable about the item.

I guess I don't have to travel out of state to look at one after all. Found one right here in my town!
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It looks like the same MC
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Despite my warnings, my wife responded to a "too good to be true" CL ad for a Persian cat kitten for something like $100. The guy responded in cut-and-paste phrases, in oddly-worded sentences ("I am so pleased to see your interest"). He wanted the money wired to an "international animal freight service" in Miami because the owners theoretically were so sad to have to give up the kitten that they hired the company to broker the deal. There was no such company listed in Miami and the address on their letterhead didn't exist. I don't recall how, but somehow I was able to determine the money would go to Cameroon. I took one of the weird phrases used in the original ad and did a nationwide CL search, and the same cat's picture appeared in something like 20 ads posted in different cities -but, as with this motorcycle, the pictures were different, like from an original series of pics off a website.

I reported it to CL, but the guy kept texting my wife for another week after she said she was not interested - moving into stories about the owner's poverty and the impending execution of the cat since they could not afford to feed it. I got on her phone during one text bout and introduced myself as Deputy Constable Whiting and told him "our office" knew there was no cat and we will prosecute him if he did not stop texting. That ended that entertainment -but these con/ads seem to pop up regularly - a good sign is the mismatching of the text to the pictures.

a food truck? maybe if you're selling gumballs...