Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GREAT Youtube channel for machinery safety videos...

GREAT Youtube channel for machinery safety videos...

I just ran across this channel and it has some terrific animated videos of real-world scenarios. How accidents happen on shapers, jointers, sliding panel saws, etc. For those not familiar with Suva, it's a Swiss company that makes OEM safety guards and equipment for Euro manufacturers such as Martin, SCM Group, and Felder. Their channel has a bunch of stuff that appears totally unrelated to ww'ing (don't ask me why), so you will need select "Load more" and wade through the page to find them, but look for the videos with the crash test dummies. Those are the ones you want to see. Sometimes, for example, I try to explain how you can still get kickback on a sliding panel saw and that can be hard to visualize or explain. These videos do a really great job of animating scenarios like that. Well worth a look, regardless of whether you own Euro machinery or not.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Suvasvizzera/videos

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for posting this Erik!

Ha ha ha! I love the kick back one! Caught me by surprise!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWlO3v_zLes
    Great videos, wish they were redone in English though with English titles. Would make them easier to find too.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Ha ha ha! I love the kick back one! Caught me by surprise!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWlO3v_zLes
    Great videos, wish they were redone in English though with English titles. Would make them easier to find too.
    A few inches lower would have been game over...

*Edit - Also, I dont speak whatever language that was, but it looks like they are advocating for the blade to be raised fully when ripping. To help prevent the kickback.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    ...it looks like they are advocating for the blade to be raised fully when ripping. To help prevent the kickback.

Thoughts?
    I imagine the reasoning is that with the blade up higher, the teeth are striking the workpiece at as perpendicular an angle as possible. Of course, this assumes you have the proper sawblade guard in place.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I imagine the reasoning is that with the blade up higher, the teeth are striking the workpiece at as perpendicular an angle as possible. Of course, this assumes you have the proper sawblade guard in place.
    And assuming that you have your fence pulled back far enough - hard to do on a typical American-style saw unless you have something like a unifence.

With a traditional fence, the blade raised all the way, and some misalignment thrown in for fun, I can see someone encountering some kickup in addition to kickback. That doesn't sound very pleasant - a board to the face instead of to the gut!
    ~Garth

Blog Entries
    The one where the crash test dummy cuts off his thumb... He looked both surprised & quite dismayed.

I had a 1940's Delta tilting table saw kick back on me once......it caused the biggest bruise I ever had and inspired a European slider purchase. I should have looked at those videos years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    A few inches lower would have been game over...

*Edit - Also, I dont speak whatever language that was, but it looks like they are advocating for the blade to be raised fully when ripping. To help prevent the kickback.

Thoughts?
    Yes, coupled with a proper short fence for ripping solid wood and the correct width riving knife and guard.

In short, you need to do the things most North American saws don't, and the things many North American operators won't..................Funny how that works...............Rod.

Thanks Erik for sharing. I wasted a bunch of time on these video. Some of them are extremely well done, with sub texts, stupid bosses,... All the good stuff.
    Mark McFarlane

I especially like the bewildered reactions on the crash test dummies' faces. Especially the one where he dents the upper bandsaw cabinet with his forehead. Think I wasted my whole lunch hour watching these yesterday.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I only saw the link to the table saw one the other one didnt work for me. The table saw well, he stands behind the cut, thats stupid, he lets the material sit loose on the saw thats stupid, had he pushed it through with a push stick finishing the cut it would have been fine. Of 20 boards you cut some would just sit there it would be the ones with enough tension to push against the blade. Be nice to have a short fence and all the right gaurds and dust collection etc but even with non of that dont stand behind the blade use a push stick and for blade height I would not have it that high as i dont have guards. We were taught 1/4 " over the material or a bit more for blade cooling and so if you do have an accident the blade is not up too high but i came from a different era where we didnt have guards on stuff even in school.

Warren, there are a number of videos of the "crash test dummy" (LOL) series in there on Euro machinery. Those are the ones you want. You will have to wade through the page, like I mentioned. Bandsaws, jointers, shapers. Not sure what Suva has to do with a lot of that stuff on their own channel, though. Doesn't at all seem to be related to what they sell. Puzzling...
    Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

To find the videos you need to hit 'more' 4 or 5 times, then there are bunch of woodworking videos all next to each other.

The Suvamatic jointer guard on this one is pretty awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro-ULmtVNK4
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 07-22-2016 at 5:11 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Eric,
    Suva Pro is the prevention division of Suva Insurance Company. It a huge company that covers all areas of insurance, prevention and rehabilitation. It's a great model and wish we had something like that here. The profits are returned by lower insurance rates to the customers.
    i spent a lot of time in their booth at Holz Handwerk comparing their products to Aigner.