Thread: Heavy duty spindle turning caliper

Heavy duty spindle turning caliper

Hi,

I need a new heavy duty spindle turning caliper. I have some larger spindles jobs coming up. My current one is on the way out. It gets grdualy bigger as I turn.

I googled a few time and all I found was junk.

Thanks much

Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn McCarthy View Post
    I need a new heavy duty spindle turning caliper. I have some larger spindles jobs coming up. My current one is on the way out. It gets grdualy bigger as I turn.
    Quinn, It might help if you mentioned
    a) the type of caliper, and
    b) the size you need.

I use several types of calipers for spindle turning, mostly vernier calipers and spring calipers. I use the verniers more for small spindles and the other more for larger work.

I have several made by Starrett and I like them a lot. Here is one that is definitely not junk: https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-275-.../dp/B0002FS1AE

JKJ

John,

That is just what Iam looking for.

Thanks much.

Quinn

Any spring loaded or screw type caliper will expand as you use it due to vibration. Depending on what you are making, plywood works very well and won't move on you. For small sizes you can use Forstner bits to drill out the size and then cut it in half so you have 2.

robo hippy

I was doing architectural turning and duplicating for loads of years. Some spindle set-ups I ran needed as many as 6 or 7 different caliper settings to work with. I have about 10 calipers in a range of sizes all they way up to 16", and I can tell you that none them were anywhere near the cost of that Starrett tool. (I am sure it's a fine tool).

They all pretty much "stretch", but that can be controlled with a light cut with a sharp parting tool.

The callipers to avoid getting are the ones without a solid nut on the threaded stretcher-- some have a speed adjustment nut, and they are garbage.

Put some threadlocker or lock-tite (the non-permanent kind) on the threads. That'll keep it from changing much due to vibration. They sell the stuff at Home Depot, Lowes, and most automotive parts stores.

There's also the Galbert Caliper - he developed them as an alternative to having to set multiple calipers for varying diameters. They actually measure as you turn - just stop when it hits the diameter you want and move onto the next section. They're actually competitive with the Starrett spring calipers. There's information and videos on use on his website; http://www.petergalbertchairmaker.co...rtcaliper.html

It is a very elegant solution to a wall full of calipers.
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 07-12-2016 at 1:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    ... none them were anywhere near the cost of that Starrett tool. (I am sure it's a fine tool).
    Yes, most of those I use were less than $10 and I don't consider them junk. But the Starretts I do have (which I bought used for about $10) are quite well made. I have never had any of this type of caliper open up unless I turned the screw. The cheap vernier calipers will, without a light touch as you mention.

I grind or sand and polish the tips of my woodturning calipers so sharp or rough points glide better on the wood. I round and polish the tips of the vernier calipers.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    There's also the Galbert Caliper - he developed them as an alternative to having to set multiple calipers for varying diameters. They actually measure as you turn - just stop when it hits the diameter you want and move onto the next section. They're actually competitive with the Starrett spring calipers. There's information and videos on use on his website; http://www.petergalbertchairmaker.co...rtcaliper.html

It is a very elegant solution to a wall full of calipers.
    That Galbert does look like a well made tool, though with limited range.