Thread: Attaching cypress top to metal base

Attaching cypress top to metal base

Hey guys. I have some design question for a desk I am looking to build. First off the the picture is of an "L" shape desk. The desk I am going to build will not be. It will be a single desk with a top roughly 60" long by 36" wide by 1" thick made of cypress. I am drawing a blank on how to attach the top to the base. Maybe I just need more coffee this morning, I am working on a SketchUp file as we speak and will post it once I am done.

Thanks

IMG_1561[1].jpg
    Last edited by Michael Alu; 07-13-2016 at 9:54 AM.

Are you making the metal base, or are you buying it? That has a lot to do with how it attaches.

If you're making it, weld a flat plate on top of each leg, maybe 6"x6". Put holes at the corners, and wood screws up into the wood. Legs built by others often have something similar.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 07-13-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Are you making the metal base, or are you buying it? That has a lot to do with how it attaches.
    I have a buddy who owns a fab shop. I will have him build it from 1.5" square tubing. So the base is pretty much however I want it designed. Any input on the base design would be greatly appreciated.

Without seeing design it is hard to know the best way. Since the table is 60" and only 1" thick I assume you will do some sort of bracing under it to counteract flex, like a skirt or support? If so screws into the skirt corners and then into legs are pretty common.

I think we're all shooting in the dark without seeing the basic desk design.

Robby

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    Without seeing design it is hard to know the best way. Since the table is 60" and only 1" thick I assume you will do some sort of bracing under it to counteract flex, like a skirt or support? If so screws into the skirt corners and then into legs are pretty common.

I think we're all shooting in the dark without seeing the basic desk design.

Robby
    Here is the basic design I have come up with using only 1.5" square tubing. Would there be a cheaper way for the bracing/support up top? Angle iron maybe? Again any input on this would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first metal base to design.
    Herman Desk.PNG
    Attached Images Attached Images

2" flat iron across the top of the legs instead of the square tubing would be my choice. That will make attaching the top very easy. If you want to add square tubing for appearance it could be put in lower on the leg.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

My first thought was tabs welded to the frame with slots cut in them to accommodate wood movement. Screw through the slots into the top.
    ~Garth

predrill the square tube that is running under the top and screw the horizontal tube to the top. hole in the top tube cannot be seen.