Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identify this Delta lathe please

Identify this Delta lathe please

I just scored this working Delta lathe FREE from a relative. I can't find a model number anywhere on the damn thing though. Looks like a 1460, but you all would know.

I need to get the piece that the tool rest drops into as it is missing.

http://imgur.com/a/inbDO

I don't know the model number, but the "thing" you're referring to is usually called the banjo. On a metal lathe, some people may call it a saddle.

It's an old Delta Homecraft complete with cast iron legs and frame and a jack shaft with cone pulleys. Tons of speed settings available. Nice indexing holes on head pulley. I would say, it's an oldie but goodie. I have a newer version stored away waiting for someone who might want it. It's probably a 10" swing mainly made for spindle work. Enjoy it.
    faust

That appears to be an early version that particular model. The bed is stamped steel rather than cast iron like the later versions.

Any idea where to get the parts? Best place to shop? Should I just call Delta direct?

Try the OWWM site they have a for sale and wanted machinery parts sub-forum.

It doesn't have to be an original Delta part. Delta or any other lathe manufacturer might have a part that could be used on your lathe.

Sure looks like a Delta 46-230. 11" swing. Some were badged as Homecraft some just Delta. Probably mid to late 1940's. I believe any banjo from older Delta lathes would fit. Lucky score to get one with the Jack shaft and what looks like an original Delta motor. Cheers. You'll find a few examples and maybe even a manual on vintagemachinery.
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

Google 46-230 Delta wood lathe, I think it is that model. Your parts that are missing will most likely have to be found on eBay or OWWM. I think there was a 9" swing and another bigger swing, a maybe 11" that looked the same. With no size reference in the pic I am guessing yours is the 11".

Parts. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...659_12776.html

Took another look at it and noticed the ways aren't correct for a 46-230... Could be a 930? This is the fun of old iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mezzatesta View Post
    Took another look at it and noticed the ways aren't correct for a 46-230... Could be a 930? This is the fun of old iron.
    OK, I've failed all of you. I took those pictures last night after a few beers in the dark. I admit, I was too excited. I'm back at my shop, and I've taken more pictures.

You may laugh at me, but I've *never* used a lathe before. Well, that's not an entirely true statement because I've resurfaced several thousand brake rotors, but I'm talking about woodworking. So when you all are talking about "swing" and "Jack shafts", it's coming out Greek on this side!

It did come with a bunch of goodies though, some sort of round threaded adapter plate, a bunch of knives(guess that's what you call them), and many drill bits. Now I just need to get this missing part, and find a place in my shop!

IMG_1925.JPGIMG_1926.JPGIMG_1927.JPGIMG_1928.JPGIMG_1929.JPGIMG_1930.JPGIMG_1932.JPGIMG_1931.JPG
    Last edited by Mike Dowell; 07-14-2016 at 1:43 PM.

I would strongly recommend finding a woodturning club in your area. Lots of helpful folks and probably beginner courses. It will save you time, money and bloodshed. If you google AAW they will list clubs in your area.

So given all the extra pictures, is there any certain guess at the model?

I believe that your lathe is referred to as a "Double Duty Lathe". or maybe the 930 Double Duty You have a decal on the side of your lathe that says Double Duty. If you look at vintage machinery or google it, you'll see your lathe:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=10387

I'm not an expert in this - - I just rely on Google searches. Also, I think that you can download a manual for this old piece of iron: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=13967
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 07-16-2016 at 8:50 PM. Reason: info added

BTW, when I looked on the Vintage machinery site, one person believed that his Double Duty lathe was from the 1930's.

According to the on-line manual, this has timken bearings. But if it has set for quite some time, it is likely that the bearings are dry. Check the manual for the type of fine oil.

I suspect that you have a "dead center". If so, then you'll need to oil or grease the junction between the metal center and the wood before you turn with it. Otherwise, you'll smoke the wood. It appears that the center is removeable. Hopefully it has a #1 or #2 Morse taper so that you can get a "live" center (it rotates and d/n need to be lubed). If you don't have a Morse taper for the center, but have a machinist friend, a new live center could be fabricated.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 07-16-2016 at 9:05 PM. Reason: added info

I'm thinking Delta 950 or 955. Very early, probably mid 1930's. Could you measure from the centre of the head or tailstock to the bed of the lathe? This would give the "swing" or maximum diameter of a bowl that could be turned. It may help in the search. That was a fine lathe in it's day. Double duty means it could turn wood or metal. The Jack shaft arrangement allows very low speed which is necessary for metal turning. Should be lots of banjos around that would fit.