Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removable counter in laundry room?

Removable counter in laundry room?

Hi all, I am building plywood boxes around my washer and dryer, but will still need to be able to get to the control box (which is lower than the top of the washer). I will be putting laminate counter over the boxes. Is there a way to secure the counter while still allowing it to be removable to access the controls?

Are you referring to the washer controls or the water valves? I assume you are talking about the water valves. These valves should be turned off when ever the washer is not in use. If a hose breaks you will have a never stopping flood of water if they are not turned off. I had a long discussion about this with my wife and I finally convinced her that they need to be turned off.

I suppose you could hinge the counter top but that is really inconvenient IMHO and would lead to then not being turned off.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Rather than make the whole countertop removable, how about just cutting out a section with a hinge to access the valves?

George, turn off water after every use? You'll never convince MY wife of that ha ha.

Actually I've had hoses leak but never break, but it actually did happen to my MIL (seriously couldn't have happened to a nicer person).

My plumber recommends replacing them every 5 years or so.

Yea, I am referring to the shutoff valves and drain box. They are behind the washer, so there is 0 chance of them being opened and closed between loads. My wife can't even reach that far. I have braided steel hose which I will replace and will add a moisture-sensing shutoff, but I'm thinking that's all I can do in that regard. I do have a floor drain.

As far as the counter, the left and rear sides will butt against a wall, the right will be open. I would prefer not to cut the counter to hinge the back if I could avoid it.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    George, turn off water after every use? You'll never convince MY wife of that ha ha.

My plumber recommends replacing them every 5 years or so.
    I know about convincing the wife. I had a very hard time but finally won. As for replacing every five years that is widely recommended.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Are you referring to the washer controls or the water valves? I assume you are talking about the water valves. These valves should be turned off when ever the washer is not in use. If a hose breaks you will have a never stopping flood of water if they are not turned off. I had a long discussion about this with my wife and I finally convinced her that they need to be turned off.

I suppose you could hinge the counter top but that is really inconvenient IMHO and would lead to then not being turned off.
    Who does that? By that reasoning you should shut of your main after every flush.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Our washer & dryer are in a closet. I added a borg Formica shelf over the two of them and made a trap door to access the hoses & drain.
    Sorry for the washed out pics, my camera has been acting up lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Who does that? By that reasoning you should shut of your main after every flush.
    And turn off the supply to your dishwasher - same type of hose, there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    And turn off the supply to your dishwasher - same type of hose, there...
    How about the toilets? And the sinks? Yes sir! Who does that??? When you flush......don't forget to turn on the water!

I pulled my counter top away from the wall a few inches. I can access my see connections behind the backsplash.
    Last edited by johnny means; 07-19-2016 at 6:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post

We are talking about rubber hoses here not copper plumbing. Rubber hoses can burst when they get old.
    George

Yes -- turn off the water to rubber hoses that are under constant pressure. It's not unheard of. The clothes washer hoses in my house are over 20 years old and I'm very careful to turn off the water with a very simple lever that shuts off both hot and cold. It's not difficult!

Recently I did similar project. The counter top over the washer and dryer sits on header along back and side walls. Right side sits on adjacent counter top. Small access cover box sits on counter top and is not restrained. The counter top over the machines is not restrained either. It has felt on edge that sits on adjacent counter so I can lift the left side and slide it out of the way. Two people can also just lift it and move it to where ever.

I sandwiched 2" x 1" x 1/4" (2" leg is vertical) angle iron in the front edge of the top over the machines to give it beam strength so I can climb on top of it to get to the hoses or drain. Also used 2 sheets of 3/4" particle board or plywood for top.

Resize of 20160719_061101.jpgResize of 20160719_060615.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    We are talking about rubber hoses here not copper plumbing. Rubber hoses can burst when they get old.
    My sinks, toilets, dishwasher, washing machine, etc, are all connected using flexible braided hoses - all the same type. I know there is a risk of bursting, but I've never understood why people freak out about the risk with a washing machine (and install "easy shut-offs valves" and drain pans under their washing machines), and ignore the identical risk with a dishwasher....it's probably the same exact hose.

A suggestion-

Attach the cabinet top with drawer slides so she can slide the top forward to access the valves. Nothing will show when it's pushed back.

Charley