Thread: Black & Green

Black & Green

Impromptu - Black & Green

This is a bit different. Sort of design on the fly without any previous plan in mind....Why I call it impromptu. I posted the roughout on this a while back, but had not decided on how I wanted to finish it out.....so here is the whole story......

I had this piece of poplar, that I had gotten at a club meeting, and it was freshly cut by someone and wet. Started cracking before I made the 40 mile trip back home. So, before I lost it completely, I stabilized the cracks with CA glue and put it on the lathe a couple of days later. No idea what to do with the blank but did not want to lose it.
    I began to turn a tenon on one end, and decided that a combination of square edges and some turned down corners might be interesting to investigate, so here is what I did. Being as it is poplar, and had a smidgen of spalting on one side, I felt like the thing needed something to bring it to life. I had some Artisan dyes on hand, but had never used them, so this was a candidate to try them out.

Wouldn't you know, while the dyeing process was going on, it slipped out of my hands, and it now has two dents in it from hitting the stand on my midi lathe......bummer! So, I realize it is not perfect, but I think interesting anyway. The facets were stained black, sanded back, and green dye added on top of it. The inside is natural color of the poplar. 8.75" tall and 5.5" wide [at the square]
    Something different for me, at least.

DSC_0736.jpg DSC_0737.jpg

This is not finished completely. I will sand back a bit with 800 grit and apply a couple more coats of the Woodturners Finish, and sand away that bleed of the green dye on the inside lip, and apply another coat to the inside as well. Comments always welcome!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-15-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Fun to explore new territory. Looking good .
    C&C WELCOME

Very unique and pretty especially for poplar.

Pretty cool Roger. I like the colors, the flat sides and the overall look. Good creativity.

You're quite the R-Tist Roger. Cool looking piece.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Very nice Roger. How did you dye the green so it didn't bleed into the black?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Very nice Roger. How did you dye the green so it didn't bleed into the black?
    I used a pre-color conditioner [also known as blotch control. From Charles Neil, which seals the end grain and yet will allow stains and dyes to take.
    https://charlesneilwoodworking.3dcar...trol_p_47.html

The whole thing was dyed black first, then the facets sanded back and then green applied.

Interesting piece Roger. Poplar is pretty plain unless it's spalted. I think the color looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    You're quite the R-Tist Roger. Cool looking piece.

R-teeest? Well, muchos gracias, David!

looks very nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Impromptu - Black & Green

This is a bit different. Sort of design on the fly without any previous plan in mind....Why I call it impromptu. I posted the roughout on this a while back, but had not decided on how I wanted to finish it out.....so here is the whole story......

I had this piece of poplar, that I had gotten at a club meeting, and it was freshly cut by someone and wet. Started cracking before I made the 40 mile trip back home. So, before I lost it completely, I stabilized the cracks with CA glue and put it on the lathe a couple of days later. No idea what to do with the blank but did not want to lose it.
    I began to turn a tenon on one end, and decided that a combination of square edges and some turned down corners might be interesting to investigate, so here is what I did. Being as it is poplar, and had a smidgen of spalting on one side, I felt like the thing needed something to bring it to life. I had some Artisan dyes on hand, but had never used them, so this was a candidate to try them out.

Wouldn't you know, while the dyeing process was going on, it slipped out of my hands, and it now has two dents in it from hitting the stand on my midi lathe......bummer! So, I realize it is not perfect, but I think interesting anyway. The facets were stained black, sanded back, and green dye added on top of it. The inside is natural color of the poplar. 8.75" tall and 5.5" wide [at the square]
    Something different for me, at least.

DSC_0736.jpg DSC_0737.jpg

This is not finished completely. I will sand back a bit with 800 grit and apply a couple more coats of the Woodturners Finish, and sand away that bleed of the green dye on the inside lip, and apply another coat to the inside as well. Comments always welcome!