Thread: Coloring for peppermills

Coloring for peppermills

So a friend wants a peppermill with a red top and a black base. I typically just use natural woods but I don't think a bloodwood top and walnut bottom is going to fit the bill. I don't think paint would be a good long term option because I just see that wearing off.

So what about a dyed red and black maple? Would that hold up long term? I typically just do and oil/wax finish on peppermills. Would dye be compatible with that?

derek
    Not allowed

Dye to suit. Finish with Wipe-On Poly, clear lacquer or similar. Should do the trick. - John

Fieblings leather dyes on light solid wood would be bright and permanent. Black looks like ebony when polished.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Out of ash, maple, or oak, which would take the dye the best?
    Not allowed

I would use maple, these are made of maple, then dyed with a bird toy dye.
    Dyed buck grunts 001_640x480-7.jpg

Maple will generally have the least grain, giving you the most uniform color, If you want grain, use ash, which can look good with dye, as the harder and softer wood will take up different amounts of dye. Oak, depending on species, can have fairly open grain, which will give you a different look. If you have spare wood, recommend you turn some small cylinders of each and try the dyes, as the cross grain and long grain will look rather different. Also for a finish, I suggest you consider a water-based polyacrylic. The polyurethane will "yellow" what ever color you put on, red will get a bit "orangeish", whereas the water-based polyacrylic dries completely clear. GF used to make some, but has DC'ed the line. I hear that Ben Moore has a very good polyA.

I have been dying my Ash mills because of lack of wood grain. Lately I have been dying with two colors and they look great. I use a light coat of sanding sealer first then dye the darker color first on the bottom and work up. The bottom 1/3 being darker then lighten up to the top two thirds. Then start with the lighter color and come down, from the top, over the dark about one third. This will give you a neat color by blending over the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Watermann View Post
    I have been dying my Ash mills because of lack of wood grain. Lately I have been dying with two colors and they look great. I use a light coat of sanding sealer first then dye the darker color first on the bottom and work up. The bottom 1/3 being darker then lighten up to the top two thirds. Then start with the lighter color and come down, from the top, over the dark about one third. This will give you a neat color by blending over the two.
    Go to the pipemakers forums, and read through their methods of staining and finishing pipes. Over the years they have perfected the use of Fiebings leather dyes, while most woodworkers are trying to "reinvent the wheel", they have pretty well mastered it. Using other dyes also work, but I would stay away from the Fiebings oil based dyes. Those I have had some minor problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Watermann View Post
    How about some photos? - John

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I would use maple, these are made of maple, then dyed with a bird toy dye.
    Dyed buck grunts 001_640x480-7.jpg
    what process do you do for your dye? Do you apply it while they are still on the lathe? How do you apply it?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Voigt View Post
    what process do you do for your dye? Do you apply it while they are still on the lathe? How do you apply it?

thanks.
    Sorry I missed this. I make my calls in batches, then do my custom dyes and finishes later off the lathe. These are the simple one color dyed version, I also mix and match colors using different colors. They are basically dipped in to one quart containers that I have of each color that I use. You can dip it in one color, then let it dry and the next day partially dip into another color, hang up side down and let the dye drip on the other color. Lots of ways to dye, experimenting will keep you busy for years. I have a friend that sprays the dye on, he can shade the colors like starbursts on guitars. Too much work for my calls, not enough mark up to cover the time.

Jimmy Clewes sells some really nice cream fillers in colors. You can get them from Craft Supplies or Woodworld. He has an interesting video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjd2rP9qX5Q