Thread: new power supply question

new power supply question

Hey guys!

THe new power supply showed up today (for the 80W shenhui) . The old one has DC Output 35KV 30mA Max and was rated for 80 - 100W tubes, the new one (same manafacture) has DC Output 30KV, 26mA Max and only says 80W.

When I was running the old supply I had it set so when I was cutting it would max out a little before 28mA. So for the new supply do I need to set the max around 24mA? And if so, I'm also thinking I'm not going to be able to cut as quick as I used to (or this assumption incorrect?) Lastly how much of a big deal is it that the old is 35KV and the new one is only 30KV?

Thanks!
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

As I understand it, your tubes output current is directly proportional to the amount of voltage you feed it. If you use an amp meter on the tube you can set your max setting to the tube manufacturers specs. So no, you should not see less cutting power out of your tube if your power supply can feed your tube the maximum amount of current it can safely handle.
    Clear as mud?
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Thanks for the reply. Can anyone confirm (or deny) what Scott is saying?
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

That's my understanding. It's the milliamps that count. FWIW, my RECI P12 power supply says it has a max output of 32 milliamps, AND that it is "matched to the RECI 80W tube." However, I think the SAFE output for 80w tubes is 26ma or less.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.