Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axminster quality?

Eric, none of my business but is there a reason you aren't looking at a domestic supplier for that cutterhead? Pretty much anyone ought to be able to supply that universal head and insert profiles. W Moore Profiles and Rangate (Garniga) come to mind.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Hi Erik. One reason was I was looking for a 30 mm spindle diameter because that is what is on my machine. When I decided to just use a bushing, I was looking at Dimar's website. I liked how they presented their profiles and seemed to have quite the selection. Just luck of the draw I guess. I haven't been able to get some of the other suppliers websites to display properly or even have access to them because of my works internet filter either.

I didn't realize you were stuck with the 30mm bore.

E.
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Illuminati

Bwaaa-haaa-haaa.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Eric, none of my business but is there a reason you aren't looking at a domestic supplier for that cutterhead? Pretty much anyone ought to be able to supply that universal head and insert profiles. W Moore Profiles and Rangate (Garniga) come to mind.

Erik
    Eric not likly with limiter heads . As I said up post Whitehill manufactures xminister blocks . Whitehill also sells a number of bores and diameters in steel or alli in inch and a quarter and three-quarter or 30mm believe 40mm and 50 mm as well. You would be well served to look through their block selection of over 50 heads if you don't have any of this type. pin spacing of 24mm standard fits all blocks on the standard block and standard knife thicknesses of 4mm but some of Whitehill take up to 6 mm thick knifes for deeper cuts . Also other blocks at 45° For those without tilting head and Combo blocks The combine limiter heads and insert grooving blocks all-in-one with recessed heads for stub spindles To cut a long tenon with smaller diameter Tooling Of course Whitehill will also make custom block to order within 24 hours . There are a multitude of Pin spacings Beyond 24 mm up 100mm for larger profiles like crown . The knife Steel is German and contains 8% tungstand . You can special order high-speed steel with 14% if you wish . It makes no sense but not to deal directly with Whitehill as they are a pleasure to do business with even small single man shops . Deal with the people that make it not retailers
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-04-2016 at 5:10 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    Eric not likly with limiter heads...
    This universal head (made by Garniga) has limiters and is available domestically...

http://rangate.com/products/profile-cutter-set

Of course, it's 1.25" though he implies that other diameters are available. I'm not saying anything against that vendor you mentioned. I'm sure they're great. For the record, I don't sell tooling but do talk to guys all the time who have no idea where to even start shopping and I was trying to suggest that you might be able to get your needs met by a US-based vendor.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

This universal head (made by Garniga) has limiters and is available domestically...

http://rangate.com/products/profile-cutter-set

Of course, it's 1.25" though he implies that other diameters are available. I'm not saying anything against that vendor you mentioned. I'm sure they're great. For the record, I don't sell tooling but do talk to guys all the time who have no idea where to even start shopping and I was trying to suggest that you might be able to get your needs met by a US-based vendor.

Erik
    Erik very few in North America have caught up with the style of cutter blocks in the EU . At the Rust Fest this summer At the Wadkin temple my shop we had a demonstration of Whitehill tooling and we could not believe the response that we got . here's Brent doing a video on the Combo block which is about the cost that one you show .

prices of combi heads
    http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catal...?cid=2&c2id=60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7DMBfzluY

the selection of heads
    http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catalogue.php?cid=2
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-04-2016 at 6:46 PM.
    jack
    English machines

It would seem to me, that while the four knife setup- with 2 actually cutting, and the backs of the other two acting as chip limiters, also does double duty as an ideal setup to feed clockwise or counterclockwise for curved parts or reverse grain issues?
    No need to stop, and flip head, and your height reference to table is unchanged.

Erik very few in North America have caught up with the style of cutter blocks in the EU . At the Rust Fest this summer At the Wadkin temple my shop we had a demonstration of Whitehill tooling and we could not believe the response that we got . here's Brent doing a video on the Combo block which is about the cost that one you show .

prices of combi heads
    http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catal...?cid=2&c2id=60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7DMBfzluY

the selection of heads
    http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catalogue.php?cid=2
    What's it cost to get one of those cutterheads from the UK to the US? I'm assuming those guys don't have a US distributor.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

What's it cost to get one of those cutterheads from the UK to the US? I'm assuming those guys don't have a US distributor.

Erik
    let me put it this way that head is $244 and yours simple head is $375 that leaves $125 for shipping . about any courier will do it for less with import fee and taxs. nowadays with the internet you don't need distributors
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-04-2016 at 7:41 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    It would seem to me, that while the four knife setup- with 2 actually cutting, and the backs of the other two acting as chip limiters, also does double duty as an ideal setup to feed clockwise or counterclockwise for curved parts or reverse grain issues?
    No need to stop, and flip head, and your height reference to table is unchanged.

Peter i think the limiter knifes pins are set back 1.1mm so the knifes are ground the same. here are the tooling regs

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis37.pdf
    jack
    English machines

let me put it this way that head is $244 and yours simple head is $375 that leaves $125 for shipping
    LOL, it's not "my" head. Remember, I don't sell tooling. Folks can buy whatever they want. But it's not like there is only one place that makes a BG-certified cutterhead or even a qualioty cutterhead. I wonder if Rangate's site is old or something? Those Garniga heads are not THAT expensive. Or shouldn't be. Minimax USA used to sell them while Garniga is excellent quality, it is on the budget end of tooling.

To the OP, I would still give W Moore Profiles a call and see what they can do for you. They must have them. Also, DeHart Tooling I believe handles Flury and Flury makes the same head as well.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Whitehill just invest 2.8 million GBP to up grade the manufacturing .

if you want quality you can't go wrong. very long history of tooling in the industry. i have there tolling in my old Wadkin catalog from the 1950s and Wadkin know tooling. Whithill is know for retooling older machine to bring them up to industry regs as well as tooling for the big CNC window machines

jack
    English machines

For the OP, out of curiosity, I checked out what Felder has and they offer the bare head (100mm x 40mm) in 30mm bore for about $140. So, that's always an option. You can get the profile knives anywhere.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for more info Jack. I started to see yesterday where Whitehill will accept more knives. I will give them a good look. Thanks.