Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying machines at industrial auction sites

Buying machines at industrial auction sites

Has anyone bought machinery at industrial auction sites? Many interesting machines come up at reasonable prices, but I don't know how to figure out if they are in proper condition. I'd welcome any thoughts. Thanks.
    -Howard

I've bought quite a few things that way. There's usually an inspection day, sometimes I roll the dice and don't go, but bid on something anyways. If it looks rough, it probably is. Most everything is repairable too.

I have not bought anything large on an auction and had it shipped. I don't bother looking at stuff that is more than a days drive.

As Martin said its nice to be able to inspect but sometimes there are plenty of pictures to give you a good idea of condition. I would assume that every machine will need some work. And most are 3 phase.

I bought an SCMI jointer (Branded Rockwell) that was in rough shape but I planned to strip and rebuild so that was fine. I had to negotiate to have it put on a pallet and shipped. The shipper would only deliver to a dock so I had to have it held at the terminal and then pick it up myself. In the end I got a great deal but it was some work and hassle.

Pay attention to whats in the pictures, ask for more if serious. Auction machines can be missing important things like guards, blade inserts, miter gauges, side covers, fences, etc. On a some vintage machine the replacement parts just can't be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug McKay View Post
    Pay attention to whats in the pictures, ask for more if serious. Auction machines can be missing important things like guards, blade inserts, miter gauges, side covers, fences, etc. On a some vintage machine the replacement parts just can't be found.

This ^^^....

I will add, though, that most of the time, the seller probably knows nothing about the machine. They probably won't take time to answer questions. "This is what you are bidding on; consult the manufacturer with any questions.". They're an auction house, not a machinery manufacturer or rep. I've talked to guys who got great deals but also talked to guys who ended up with nightmares. You really need to know what you are looking at in order to have a positive experience with this type of sale.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Buying from auctions is not for the first time buyer or someone afraid of machining new parts. The prices need to be low because there are premiums, rigging fees, and freight charges. You can get really lucky or have a partial parts machine. For someone not good with rehabbing old stuff, a reputable dealer or a seller you can talk to and feel warm and fuzzy with are a better option. If you are a good machine guy, there are some real deals out there at auction but usually the heavy commercial stuff, not the hobby Delta type stuff. Dave

I have a shop full of machines bought at auction. With every one I had a look on site, researched the new price, set my maximum bid in my head, and went for it. Also works to talk to the auctioneer afterwards as you can get good deals on items passed in.

Also in a previous job I had to organise freight for the heavy (20 tonnes plus) machining centres the boss bought. It was a logistic nightmare organising loading on site and oversize road transport anywhere up to 2000km away not to mention sea freight to Tasmania. Heaps easy if you pick up yourself. Cheers

Watch out for auctions that are "moved to site for convenience of sale". These are usually the leftovers from on site auctions. Usually broken stuff.
    I used to go to bankruptcy auctions. Guy comes into a business, asks everybody to stand up, gather their belongings and leave. Items are left where they functioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Watch out for auctions that are "moved to site for convenience of sale". These are usually the leftovers from on site auctions. Usually broken stuff.
    I used to go to bankruptcy auctions. Guy comes into a business, asks everybody to stand up, gather their belongings and leave. Items are left where they functioned.
    Not always. It's typically because the real estate was liquidated prior to the sale of the contents. The items are also typically moved by millwrights.

Watch out for what your end cost will be. Taxes, buyers premium and what the millwrights are going to hit you. Small stuff they usually only charge $50-100. Bigger stuff can get expensive. Most places will not let you load your item for insurance reasons unless you can carry it by hand.

It's easy to get carried away and spend $10k on something then realize you owe another $2100 in tax/buyers premium. I figure it backwards, if I want to pay $5000 for something, the auction has 15% buyers premium, and 7.87% sales tax, plus $50 to load, my max bid would be about $3950. It adds up quick!

If you're going for something big, call the riggers and get a quote.

Sometimes I punch that it in day one of the listing. A high bid with two weeks left lets people know you're serious. Or, leave a little room to make another bid. I paid more than I wanted to recently for another SAC shaper, but it came out of a trade school, and it's seen as easy a life as possible. Mint heavy duty shapers for less than $6k are few and far between. New something comparable would be over $10k, and I know that SAC has never seen an 8hr day much less a 40hr week.

Can anyone offer any tips for finding auctions or recommend some reputable auction houses. I live in in Seattle. Thank you.

I watch IRSAuctions.com they are an industrial recovery service

Lots of good advice here already. I'll second the advice to see it in person if at all possible, I've been at auctions where people bidding online were paying crazy prices for busted up junk machines! I've gone to auctions to bid on equipment that looked great in the photos but once you got up close, and more importantly could look inside, they were junkers!

I'll admit that I have also bid on machines without having inspected first. My criteria is that it has to be a machine I know and that I could really use for an absurdly low price. Usually they're too far away to justify the inspection trip. I've lucked out and gotten some amazing deals this way, but these are large pieces of equipment and always 3 phase. Consumer grade stuff never goes cheaply enough to be worth my time.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Fenske View Post
    Can anyone offer any tips for finding auctions or recommend some reputable auction houses. I live in in Seattle. Thank you.
    www.bidspotter.com/en-us

Thanks everyone, helpful advice!
    -Howard