2 2.50%
  • None of the above (please explain)

4 5.00%

Thread: Sharpening poll

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sharpening poll

Why not have another sharpening thread?

This one a poll. Not a question about stones or sharpening media, purely about method, not including hollow grinding, just the hand process, although it does include the use of jigs. It seems there are three ways to grind / hone an edge. Bear with me please -
    1) front to back / back to front - ex: this is the method needed to use the typical roller jig for example although I'm not asking if you use a jig -- the grinding and honing is done in the direction the tool such as plane blade normally is used in practice (not accounting for skewing the plane for example), just the basic forward and back stroke used by the tool (including for example paring in a forward direction)not related to stones or media;
    2) side to side - just the perpendicular direction to the front to back of number 1 above - this is a recent example espoused by Frank Klaus video;
    3) circular and or figure eight method - self explanatory, I think, given 1 and 2 above;
    4) none of the above, including for example not applicable because you never grind or hone to get a sharp edge, or some other method not properly described by one of the three options above (in which please do elaborate).
    Feel free to add other comments as needed

Note - if you use multiple, please respond with your preferred, go to method, not the special case condition
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 07-25-2016 at 3:19 PM.