Thread: Scrap storage

Scrap storage

When we bought this house in 2013 it had no space for my tools. So they went into storage. Then I had another garage built (and a lot of other stuff done) and moved the tools into an unfinished garage. It had a ceiling of 5/8 drywall because it had to, there is a bedroom above it. But the walls were bare studs and there was one 20 amp outlet. I've insulated and wired and built a long cabinet with a lot of drawers that supports my CMS and RAS. Storage for hardwood is on pieces of conduit set into the doubled studs of the wall above these saws. But the other long wall is bare and had a bunch of miscellaneous scraps against it. It was a mess. So last weekend I built a rolling storage unit based upon plans I got from the internet. I lengthened the design to 6 feet and built it from about 3.5 sheets of 3/4 plywood. It is HEAVY. But it works well to get my scraps up off the floor and somewhat organized. The idea is that when it gets full, a bunch of less useful pieces go on the trailer to the dump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good design. With 3.5 sheets of 3/4" and all the scraps loaded onto it, you may have to get a motor to move it again.

I built the same one. Wish I did the 6ft long as well. I also would have made the sheet slot on the back side a bit wider to hold a bit more on mine. Good job none the less.

I wish the sheet slot was wider too. At least another couple inches. I also failed to mention I made almost all the cuts with my DeWalt track saw. It was so much easier than using the table saw and more accurate than the circular saw. Worked great. I further used the tracks and the DeWalt router attachment to make shallow dados in the base and vertical upright. Again, no issue. Much easier way than any other I've tried to make a 6 foot dado.

I also did another little job I'd been putting off. I wanted to use my fixed base PC 690 to cut the dados but my one working motor was in the plunge base. Rather than take it out, I decided to take the speed control off the variable speed motor that had quit to see if I could get it going. I took the top off both motors to be sure I knew where the wires should go (it turned out to be pretty obvious) and I got the previously variable speed motor working. So now I am back to two working PC 690s. Another low delayed task accomplished.

Good idea - I need to get my scrap under control.

Fortunately, in the winter we heat our house with a wood stove, so that's where my "discards" go rather than the dump.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.