Thread: Collecting Black Locust tips

Collecting Black Locust tips

Hi, guys, I'm collecting tips from those of you have have turned and liked Black Locust, green in this case. I've picked up a fair amount of it, both normal logs and several crotch pieces. Have gathered from the AAW folks that there are differing approaches to turning it (once? twice?), drying it, etc. Before I turn more than one bowl, would like to gather some info and decide what's next. Thanks!

I've turned a bit of it. It is a lovely, very dense wood. Found it to turn nicely when green, moves a lot more than maple, no where near as much as madrone. It cuts very cleanly with sharp tools much like madrone in that regard. It turns a very deep black when fumed with ammonia -except for the growth rings which stay a lighter, nearly yellow/tan tone - a striking effect.

The pieces I've done have been both turned green to finish - to a slight but pleasing warp, and twice turned. I didn't take any abnormal precautions when drying - standard 1" per 10" of diameter, round over the rim, kept it near the cement floor ( on stickers) for the initial drying, then threw it on the shelf to sit 'til ready to turn. I live in the northernmost part of the Pacific Northwest near Puget Sound - YMMV.
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 07-27-2016 at 1:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I've turned a bit of it. It is a lovely, very dense wood. Found it to turn nicely when green, moves a lot more than maple, no where near as much as madrone. It cuts very cleanly with sharp tools much like madrone in that regard. It turns a very deep black when fumed with ammonia -except for the growth rings which stay a lighter, nearly yellow/tan tone - a striking effect.
    Do you need industrial strength ammonia, as with oak? It does remind me of some chestnut I turned which had had a nail or two, probably for decades, and part of it was strikingly black.

I used household ammonia without the scent added. It responded very quickly. Just put in a plastic bucket along with a dish of the ammonia and a good cover. After about an hour it was as dark as it was going to get. No difference between that and leaving it overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Straw View Post
    Do you need industrial strength ammonia, as with oak? It does remind me of some chestnut I turned which had had a nail or two, probably for decades, and part of it was strikingly black.
    I've found that household ammonia is all I need for fuming oak

The pieces I've done have been both turned green to finish - to a slight but pleasing warp, and twice turned. I didn't take any abnormal precautions when drying - standard 1" per 10" of diameter, round over the rim, kept it near the cement floor ( on stickers) for the initial drying, then threw it on the shelf to sit 'til ready to turn. I live in the northernmost part of the Pacific Northwest near Puget Sound - YMMV.
    Perhaps we're in the charmed part of the country for turning and drying Black Locust, eh? I see you're pretty far up north. I'm on Bainbridge, directly west of Seattle. Like the idea of fuming a couple of pieces, fun. I just re-did the main part of my wood storage. Took down most of the shelves that were designed for flat stock, and slid in one of those metal-grid shelving units. On the floor (cement), I placed plastic grid, and that's where the just-turned green bowls are living, upside-down. Have you done any natural edge bowls? I'd like to do a couple (have 12 half-rounds, and then 3 crotch pieces).

I used household ammonia without the scent added. It responded very quickly. Just put in a plastic bucket along with a dish of the ammonia and a good cover. After about an hour it was as dark as it was going to get. No difference between that and leaving it overnight.
    I think "industrial" ammonia was used back in the early 20th century. The last time I did any fuming and read up on it, I think the stronger ammonia was called "Janitorial Strength". Probably not much marketed in the "industrial" strength these days. Nasty stuff!