Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer shoes

Summer shoes

What kind of shoes do you use in your shop in summertime?
    I am looking for something not heavy and hot.
    I am in the sandals right now and I know it is not perfectly safe - but we become older and all of us likes comfortable light shoes.
    Thank you,Ed.

You need some protection. Last year I dropped a sheet of 3/4 birch ply on my foot hitting my second toe. It broke the nail and endded up getting infected. Long story short, I lost my toe. It pays to be careful.

Steve's caution is probably good advice, but I admit to wearing Keen sandals or going barefoot in the shop in the summer.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    For everyday shop work I wear slip on Skechers boat shoes. They don't offer much protection but are light and comfortable. When working with heavier materials I'll wear my aluminum toe Red Wing sneakers.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wear soft Telic shoes. They are the best for me and eliminate foot pain. I don't drop things on my feet but if I did I'd probably wear steel-toed shoes. Any other type of shoe won't protect.

JKJ

I don't wear shoes in the shop because I just use hand tools, but then again I am working out two black toe nails right now.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Crocs! They're not safety shoes.

However, they are closed toe, but vented. They are remarkably sturdy. The heel strap can be flipped over the upper so if you wish to wear them like a sandal you can. They are rubber, so they have good traction on the floor - even when it gets a *little* dusty. There are no fabric parts, so if you need to wash them, you can really put them back on almost immediately. They slip on/slip off easily, so if you have to frequently leave your shop and enter a 'clean' area like my basement, then there's no hassle or incentive just keep the dirty shoes on while you traipse across carpet...

The only downside is they are not very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Crocs! They're not safety shoes.
    If you get them in blaze orange does that make them safety shoes?

I wear my red wings they are comfortable and safety

I wear Crocs too, the non ventilated variety to keep dust off my feet/socks.

Crocs, just don't drop your chisel (how do I know that?)

Thanks, going to check Crocs now.
    Ed.

They make quite lightweight hard toed shoes nowadays. I have worn a pair of what's called Worx brand ever since I dropped a 2X6 ash board on my toe and broke it last year. I recommend protection. ..But otherwise, hey, that's why we have health insurance, right ?

I pretty much wear Reebok DMX Max Walking Shoes all the time, unless I am expecting to do something where my toes get crushed, then I wear Georgia Boot steel toes.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I wear boots in the shop. They can be hot but are worth it. Today I wore steel toe Carolina boots and always do when working around the tractor or something very heavy. Tomorrow I will likely wear Ecco boots. They are super light and feel great on your feet. I own lots of Birkenstocks but never wear them in the shop.