Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas BBQ Oct. 22

Dallas BBQ Oct. 22

I haven't heard from very many people yet about coming to the bbq so not sure what the turnout will be this year.

One thing that will be different is the location. With my upcoming move,which may include that weekend, I have asked Mike Mastin if he would be interested in having it at his place, Curly Woods.
    He has graciously (the only way he knows) accepted the challenge and will be hosting the event. He is only about 8 miles from my new digs so maybe we can arrange for a field trip to see whatever I have done.

Stephen Sotkes and his brother will be grilling the pig and making coleslaw again.

I hope we have as good a turnout as we have had in the past. Let Mike know if you can make it and bring a dish if you're able

Everyone is welcome and bring friends and family.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Oh man...nothing like having a woodworking picnic in a "woodworkers' candy store"...I really wish I could make it down for that, but I have to be in Vegas that week. Sheesh!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Come join us!

Yet another October is upon us here in North Texas and this means that our now 5th Annual Woodworkers BBQ is coming up on October 22nd! This event has grown each year in attendance and quality. Everyone and their families are invited as always. We would ask that everyone bring a small side dish to compliment the BBQ. A small donation to help cover the cost of the pig and other meats is respectfully requested from all that attend.

As Steve Jenkins has stated, he is in the midst of moving his business and home to a new location near McKinney, Texas and has asked me to consider hosting the event. I have agreed and hope that everyone will make plans to attend as always. This event has become a great day of fellowship and food, not to mention the great door prizes. If you planning to attend, please RSVP by sending me an email to mdm@curlywoods.com , to let us know how many will be attending with you, so that we can plan for the amount of meats that we will need to feed everyone.

Stephen Stokes will be once again flying in from Maine to handle the pig roasting duties and cole slaw. If you have never tried Stephen's cuisine, it is great. We will have a nice lineup of demonstrations including woodturning and high quality door prizes. We intend to have a Tool Swap N' Sell area also, so if you have any tools that you want swap or try to sell, please do so!

I would also like to ask all of the North Texas Woodworking and Woodturning Clubs to please attend and if possible, bring along some mini lathes, provided the weather is nice. You are welcome to handout promotional literature about your clubs too. We can setup lathes outside all around the shop and hopefully get some new folks into woodturning! We could also turn more pens for the Freedom Pens effort and I will again supply all the required pen blanks for the event.

Date: Saturday October, 22nd
    Time:10:00AM til 5PM
    1006-B North Tennessee
    McKinney, Texas
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Oct.22???hope all ya Texans have a great time at the BBQ.Up here in NE OH we will be looking for the first snowfall,about that time of year.ENJOY

We never stop BBQ'ing here...even on the one 'Ice Day' we get every year.

Mike and Steve....I'll be there for sure...just RSVP'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    Oct.22???hope all ya Texans have a great time at the BBQ.Up here in NE OH we will be looking for the first snowfall,about that time of year.ENJOY
    We might finally be getting into some cooler weather about that time of the year, but there are no guarantees in Texas. We have always had good weather for the past events. A little prayer for good weather would be appreciated.

Just got an email from some of the guys at MiniMax and they said that they will try to attend.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Oh man...nothing like having a woodworking picnic in a "woodworkers' candy store"...I really wish I could make it down for that, but I have to be in Vegas that week. Sheesh!
    That must have been a tough call, Jim.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mastin
    We might finally be getting into some cooler weather about that time of the year, but there are no guarantees in Texas. We have always had good weather for the past events. A little prayer for good weather would be appreciated.

Just got an email from some of the guys at MiniMax and they said that they will try to attend.
    hey mike did you ask them if they would bring a door prize??

I am stuck in schedule conflict HECK again. For the third year in a row, the Dallas BBQ and my wife's company pinic fall on the same day. Since my wife is getting her 10 year service award, I think I know which one I am going to Hope y'all have fun.

Wendell

P.S. - I vote for the 2nd or 4th weekend of October next year

Richard Hash and I drove up last year and had a great time. Not sure if we'll do it again, but there is always room for a last minute decision...

Todd

Well, Foiled again. Seems like my whole year has gone this way. Since I've got to be in the DFW area about a week and a half before the BBQ, I just don't think I can make that 750 + mile round trip twice in the same month at today's Fuel prices, but I sure would like to. Gosh, I can remember in the earlier days (when Gas was .30 to .65 / gal), we thought Nothing of driving down there two or three weekends a month for one thing or another.

Anyhow, I hope you have a great turnout, and a wonderful time, and I will get to Mc Kinney one of these days.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I'm going to try to make it out to the picnic. Will bring my peanut butter fudge if that sounds good to ya'll.

Looking forward to seeing you all again.

Betsy

Mike-
    This may be a dumb question but here goes-
    Will your wood inventory be available for sales during the picnic?

Thanks
    Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Sounds good to me...I better not eat breakfast that morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tinley
    Mike-
    This may be a dumb question but here goes-
    Will your wood inventory be available for sales during the picnic?

Thanks
    Dave

Not a dumb question at all Dave. I want to answer for Mike because I suspect that he would have some hesitation. I think that he should be "open for business as usual".
    There is certainly no pressure or expectation that people will be buying lumber and I KNOW that isn't why he is hosting the BBQ this year. If he happens to sell some stuff, well good for him.