Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Across Grain cutting board in Planer a no no?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    I got lucky and the $10 harbor freight hand plan I bought and spent hours polishing and tuning up worked perfect and flattened both sides great. Didn't have to use the planer. I read some horror stories about planning across grain and end grain and thought if I take a light pass several times, didnt have to risk it.

Now the fun part will be in the morning when I have to sand the end grain. I might ask the local cabinet shop how much for a few passes. It's a small 11"x17" board.
    It the chances you take on the gamble and what you do to prevent catastrophe. It's a risky move without proper preparation. You lost the chicken game and veered off. Not a bad choice, either.

I've done it without real issue. The surface doesn't turn out as smooth as planing with the grain and, as you might guess, the refuse are long strands that, for me, got kind of hung up in the dust collector duct. ..But I had to do it that way and my objective was achieved.

The 13" side is across grain and the 17.5" is with the grain.
    I read this as NOT an end grain board. I have done this through my 13" bench-top with no issues. Light passes as it will generate LONG and stringy 'chips'. Check your DC often (if you have one) to make sure it's not plugged.

End grain is a different can of worms....
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...