Thread: Bowl finish suggestion

Bowl finish suggestion

I have been using Generals Salad Bowl finish for many years and am very happy with it for the most part. The one drawback that i have found is that it turns soft maple yellow. I just took down a couple trees, one full of ambrosia and the other with tons of tiger striping. Can anyone suggest a finish that will keep the natural color and not yellow the maple? I prefer a finish that I can buff out to a mild gloss. The flat finish of an oil does not sell very well for me.

Thanks,

Phil

Lacquer would be my choice, followed by one of the water based finishes (I have yet to find one that is as easy as lacquer). I have a compressor and a touch up spray gun but lately have been using rattle can Rust O Leum lacquer for turnings.

Lacquer is definitely a good choice, will remain clear and not yellow the wood. I've also had good results with Waterlox gloss (XL 89), very clear for a varnish and really helps to accentuate curly grain. It will yellow some over time though. I thin it 15% or so and wipe it on very thin, using multiple coats. Otherwise it's hard to get it to lay flat and not run.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Water-based polyacrylic - milky white in the can - crystal clear when dry. I use it on all my light colored wood, maple, ash, Bradford pear, etc.

I'm still working through a couple of gallons of GF water-based polyA that I got before they dc'ed the product. Minwax also has some. Don't like their rattle can version, the one can I bought did not make a smooth spray - didn't want to buy another, just to see if it was a bad can. Ben Moore has a low VOC acrylic polyU mix which they claim is a clear finish in several sheen levels. Haven't tried it yet either.