Thread: Who likes Butternut?

Who likes Butternut?

I have a chance to get some butternut, about 50 bf or so, from the husband of a friend. After looking it up on Woodbin, it doesn't sound all that promising--"soft, low strength, stiffness, shock resitance, and decay resistance". Am I missing something here? What do you use it for?

I understand there is some sort of blight that is decimating the remaining stocks in the wild, so it isn't widely available. Only diseased trees are being cut.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Having made only one serving tray out of butternut I have to agree with your summary of its properties (apart from shock and decay resistance, which I have no independent data on). In its defence, it is a pretty wood.

The stuff is great! We've got a very old (150 +/-) secretary style desk that's gorgeous, especially when I shine her up before the MIL arrives (came from her).

I've used it for flatwork boxes, interior casework, and small turned boxes. SWMBO carves with it,

Kinda smells bad when you saw it, but won't drive you out of the shop.
    Only the Blue Roads

butternut is a great wood. It is also known as white walnut, you'll enjoy working with it!
    Ned

2B1ASK1

it depends on what you are doing with it. it is very soft.... softer than white pine. so for a low use item i think it is ok. it can also be "stringy" when planing. but it can be pretty wood and finishes nicely. i have some that has been sitting around for a few years waiting for the right project. if the price is right ...try it. but i wouldn't pay the premium prices that some are trying to get for it, personally.
    chris

Great wood, I have made two small shaker night stands with butternut. Takes stain well and finishes out great . Very hard to get . give it a try

it is a nice wood and is becomming extinct because of the butternut canker. I have a fair amount of it and have some plans for an office using it. I have to disagree with chris about it being softer than white pine. There may be regional differences between butternut trees, but the material I have is much harder than pine, more along the line of black walnut.

lou

Hi Dan

Everyone posting to this thread so far is right. It is a great wood that is not worth it. It is a soft wood except when it is harder. It can be stringy except when it cuts well.

I have not worked a lot of butternut, but in the little I have used in both flat work and in turning has exhibited all of these qualities. A lot has to do with where the tree grew, and I don't mean just regionally, I mean locally. I would suggest that you check out the stash before you agree to buy. If you can score it easily with your fingernail, it probably is not going to be fun to work.

Bill

The house I grew up in for the first 6 years of my life was filled with beautiful butternut built-ins and woodwork. Beautiful stuff. I haven't worked with it yet, but it's on my list...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Butternut

I have milled a fair amount of Butternut on my mill. I sell some to a wood carver who carves western type art. It is softer then oak but not super soft. If someone hits you with a butternut club it is still going to hurt!! I have several logs that I have lined up for milling and plan on using some of it for my own furniture type projects. I love the way it works and have had no trouble milling it by hand or power tools. It isn't white oak but it has its own beauty and when used in the right place is quite beautiful.

Hope Chest with butternut panels
    Butternut carving
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    it is a nice wood and is becomming extinct because of the butternut canker. I have a fair amount of it and have some plans for an office using it. I have to disagree with chris about it being softer than white pine. There may be regional differences between butternut trees, but the material I have is much harder than pine, more along the line of black walnut.

lou
    i wish i could get some of the butternut you have....all of mine is SOFT. i have 400-500 board feet of it waiting for the right project........but with MY kids...it'll be waiting a long time...
    chris

Personally I like butternut.

It is like a light walnut. I made a nice night table out of butternut a few years ago and it is still standing up quite well.

Don't be afraid of it, just understand that it is a soft and very light wood. Many things are made out of pine, which I think is softer, and not a pretty.

David.

Thanks everyone for your replies. As it turned out it wasn't a difficult decision, my friends husband didn't want anything in return for the wood, so it's now sitting in my basement, subject of another gloat thread. This batch is pretty soft, (can mark it with a fingernail) but I'm sure I can find uses for it.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan,, what I have heard, it get very fuzzy when you plane it, thats what the guy at the hardwood dist, here in town told me. Its very hard to get smooth, I guess.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com