Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new miter saw: Should I opt for a slider?

Question Buying a new miter saw: Should I opt for a slider?

Hi Everybody,

I've been a homeowner for about two years now and I'm expanding my tool collection to get started into amateur woodworking and DIY household projects. I want to start with making workbenches and basic storage cabinets for the basement and eventually get into building vanities, bookshelves, dressers, etc for the rest of the house. Here are the woodworking tools I have so far:

• Cordless drill & impact driver
    • Cordless 6.5" circular saw w/ Diablo 40T Fine Finish blade & Kreg Rip Cut guide
    • Two sawhorses
    • Reciprocating saw
    • Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig

I have enough budget for the moment to get what seems like the next logical tool: a miter saw to get precise cuts on 2x and 4x lumber as well as the ability to do baseboard and crown molding in the future. I've been going back and forth for months on whether or not I should go all-out and get a 12" sliding compound miter saw or if I should opt for a 12" non-slider. I've looked at the 10" sliders but I think I want to have the vertical capacity that a 12" blade provides for versatility. So far I'm partial to DeWalt tools so I'm basically comparing the DW716XPS vs the DWS780. The two questions I keep circling around are 1) would I be sacrificing accuracy by getting a slider, even when it's in a locked non-sliding mode, and 2) am I ever going to need the added horizontal crosscut capacity when I get a table saw down the line? Note that I'm not a contractor and will never be cutting roof rafters or new construction apart from framing up a finished basement. I've heard plenty of people say "Get all the saw you can afford now so you won't regret it later", but if I will likely never need a slider's capacity for home DIY / woodworking project work then I could use the $200 upgrade price elsewhere (such as a jig-saw, table saw, or a router). Let me know what you think!

I too am a home/DIY user, and after using a non-slider for years and "always" being 1 inch short I finally got the Hitachi 12" slider. I had been plunging the saw, then lifting the board and saw at the same time to finish the cut. While I can't speak to the accuracy of the Dewalt, my Hitachi is just as accurate at full extension. I would vote for slider.

Sliders need a very deep workbench if you want to use it in the shop. It may be more practical to put it on a rolling bench and pull it out to use it. A 12 inch non-slider will crosscut about 8 inches. When that is not enough, I use a RAS. You could also use a jig for your circular saw or, later, a track saw or tale saw. 8 inches is plenty for any molding work you are likely to do. A 10 inch non-slider will probably do your molding. With good technique, I think you can get accurate cuts with a slider but you can verify in a store that they deflect if you push on the motor sideways with the arm extended. So will my RAS. But you can't similar push a non-slider. But I can also crosscut accurately with my RAS and I'm sure you can with most sliders.

DeWalts may be good, I've never looked. Hitachi's are usually a very good buy and they are good saws. The Bosch glide is most people's second to the Kapek. I've also seen a good review of the Rigid 12 inch. It is supposed to have pretty good dust collection (the Bosch gets poor scores for dust control, the Kapek is by reputation the best for this). I would read some reviews before buying a DeWalt. You may still buy it but there may be a different brand that will better suit you or cost less and do an equivalent job. I tend to go with what I think it the best buy for each tool. I have a DeWalt track saw but I have a Hitachi double bevel 12 inch non-slider. I have two PC 690 routers but also have a Bosch Colt. If I bought a small router today it would probably be the DeWalt, however. My good jigsaw is a Bosch. There are several good brands but there isn't one that is best at everything.

Blog Entries
    Chris..... Welcome to the Creek.

I would like to have a slider, but I have a Hitachi 10" compound miter saw that does everything I need.

The tools that I used the most in my shop are:
    Delta contractor table saw
    Hitachi 10" miter saw (no slider)
    Makita 3 HP router in a make-do simple table
    Some hand held routers

I have other tools, but these are my primary tools. A slider would be nice but I can get by without one. I picked up my Hitachi from Lowes when they had it on sale for $100.00
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I had a 10" non-sliding Hitachi for many years and was also always short. I recently was able to buy the 12" Hitachi slider and can't believe how much more convenient it is. I also have found it to be very accurate. Menards often has it for $399.99 and then there's the 11% rebate. Lowes recently had it for $399 with a free stand. If you can swing it, I'd go for the slider now instead of the eventual later. This one also takes up less room because of it's unique sliding system.
    USMC '97-'01

I'm a very happy Hitachi C12RSH owner. I use mine the same way you intend to use yours. For all the reasons stated above, I bought this saw years ago and sold my Ridgid 12" non slider. Mine is mounted on a Ridgid MSUV. The slider system will allow you to mount it on a work bench without the need for the great space behind it. You can find it for $399. You can also buy a reconditioned one from several sites including Big Sky Tool and Amazon. I have purchased reconditioned tools from both sites that continue to work great.

Welcome to the creek Chris! Lots of great information here. I think if you are planning to get a table saw anytime soon, I would pass in the slider. Making a cross cut sled for your table saw is a simple and accurate way to achieve many of the cuts you will need to make. I have two, one for 2 foot wide panels, and one for smaller work. I really only use my miter saw for rough dimension cuts, or in your case for moulding, etc.

Either way, best of luck!

Chris,
    Before you commit to a DeWalt slider take a look at the Amazon review " another DeWalt terd"

I gave a 12" DeWalt slider to my Son as a birthday present, because that's what he wanted, he cussed me trying to cut crown mldg with it.

Why don't you take a look at Craig's list in your area and see what's available in just a chop saw for starters ?
    Ed

Ed

I bought a Bosch Glide Arm and have been very happy with it. It does not require the depth of most sliders. However, it is a bit on the heavy side if you need to move it often.

Robert

I have a DW 12'' SCMS. I keep it adjusted and it cuts on the money unless I do wider boards. I knew about sliders from the get go and use the DW to get close and then go to my shooting board to get it on the money. For larger compound tapers I use my table saw with a taping jig.
    I bought the saw the first year they came out and got a real deal as it was sold as a reconditioned tool. How a tool would have had to be reconditioned in such a short time does not pass the smell test. It was obviously a floor model.
    I have had no problems with it what so ever. I know its limitations as to spot on accuracy but it speeds up my break down of lumber to manageable size.
    I imagine of one wanted a slider that would cut on the money each time the price would be ^$1000. I like shooting boards for what I do.

If I were buying a miter saw today, I'd likely opt for a slider...wider capacities and sometimes more compactness at the same time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I imagine of one wanted a slider that would cut on the money each time the price would be ^$1000. I like shooting boards for what I do.
    I went with the Kapex, and it usually cuts bang on. That being said, getting good with a shooting board will always get you to superb accuracy. I always have that trick in my back pocket if I need that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Lots of good points made already, but I'll add my piece...having used plenty of both variety. For carpentry on the rougher side, a slider can't be beat and is really useful to have around. It can be used for finer work as well, though I would go to the table saw/miter gauge/sled for fine woodworking miters and crosscut I have a Dewalt DWS780 and once set up properly, it is accurate enough for me for a miter saw. It has some good features, and I happened to get a brand new one for 60% off retail so I'm happy with that. I also have an old Hitachi 8 1/2" slider that was given to me, which is a nice saw for smaller stock and is lighter to move around. One downside not mentioned too much is that a slider spews dust everywhere....and is harder to capture than a non slider. A saw with a permanent location could be outfitted with a custom build dust "hood" built around it with a dust port near the bottom/back of the saw, but even with all that, the dust collection of a slider can be challenging. Just something to consider.

You can be quite accurate with a 12" slider if you take your time, set it up right and make some nice extensions on either side that support your stock properly, but for nit-picky trim and even more accuracy, I really like a non slider as long as the stock I'm working with isn't more than say 6" wide. But you don't get anywhere near the crosscut capacity and versatility as the slider.

SO...the obvious answer is...BUY BOTH!

You can thank me later.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 08-06-2016 at 1:45 PM.

Don't know if these are available in North America yet but there seems to be some interest in this Metabo rig.
    https://www.metabo.com/com/en/tools/...mitre-saw.html

I had a 12" non-slider and always had a problem with crosscut width. Now I have a 10" slider and I miss the depth ability of the 12". So if I had to do it over again, I'd get a 12" slider. But get a good quality slider. You won't regret it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.