Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Compressors -- single vs two stage

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I think David's comment about duty cycle is important. I wish I could have afforded a heavier compressor. The starters on all of the lower end imports you find at places like air compressor direct seem cheap. I cringe each time I hear my compressor start at 135psi. We measured the start up amps and it draws a slightly over 30amp each time it starts; whereas about the max we could create for my 5hp DC was about 7amp or so. I have read quite a few stories about guys having to repair the electrics on their compressors.
    I got a great deal on an old Quincy. I went to the local dealer for some parts and chatted them up about how to test. They said that whenever they evaluate a compressor line to sell they get a loaner from the manufacturer. One Friday night they fire it up and open the drain cock enough so the pump works against a nearly full tank but it runs continuously until they come in on Monday morning. The guy I was chatting with said that's how they know if a compressor is industrial or not. He said none of the Chinese made pumps had survived a weekend torture test.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Don't rule out a used compressor. The old Quincy QR 325 are common and by far the best designed and quality available. Pretty common in the 750-1000 range for a good running with a decent tank. The pumps are so good that with minimal skills, you can clean up the valves, ( they will be rusty ) change the oil, and have a great 16 cfm compressor that runs with a pleasing sound and will outlive us all. I've rehabbed a couple and no big deal and those still running don't need much work. The new ones are nothing like the QR. Just another option. Dave

I'd love to find one of those older compressors. They're awfully scarce in my neck 'o the woods. A lot of people that have them know better than to sell them. Once in a while one will show up that's 3-phase, but the cost of changing motors makes it prohibitive. I've also seen a few compressors that have been sitting in an open barn for 30 years, haven't been run in 40, and given our always-humid climate here are solid rust and rot. And the seller thinks they're made of platinum.

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post
    Nothing inherently wrong with offshore components if they're good offshore components. I'd still rather have a Baldor, but if Rolair chose the right WEG motor for the job, I have no problem with that. The determining factor isn't where the components came from, but that the assembling manufacturer chose those components well. I'd still rather have a Baldor, but not bad enough to pay for one in this case.

Do you know who made the pump?

One other question--a minor point--where on the tank is the output connection? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen.

I'm also curious about how loud it is in actual operation.

Thanks!

D.

Here is my Chicago Pneumatic CPRS10500 in operation. The brand started as American, bought by AtlasCopco in the late 80's, and the unit is made in Italy. probably outsourced. 10hp, 43CFM

Nothing inherently wrong with offshore components if they're good offshore components. I'd still rather have a Baldor, but if Rolair chose the right WEG motor for the job, I have no problem with that. The determining factor isn't where the components came from, but that the assembling manufacturer chose those components well. I'd still rather have a Baldor, but not bad enough to pay for one in this case.

Do you know who made the pump?

One other question--a minor point--where on the tank is the output connection? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen.

I'm also curious about how loud it is in actual operation.

Thanks!

D.
    Dan

I don't know the manufacturer of the pump. It's not labeled. Possibly a call to Rolair could answer that one.

Th outlet connection is on the right side of the tank, 41" off the floor. It's an 1/2" NPT connection, and comes with a 90 degree ball valve. The actual connection is a 3/4"- 1/2" reducer. I took out the 1/2" fittings and valve and replaced them with 3/4" fittings and valves. I'll be running 3/4" pipe through the garage.so I started it off that way.

It's not as loud as many compressors I've been around. My wife hung out when I turned it on for the first time, and we did have to talk loudly over it, but she didn't run out of the garage plugging her ears with her fingers. We were in the open garage with no hearing protection.
    It's loud, just not Banshee screaming loud. I think the 70-73dB value I've read, seems about right. My JC10 is 60 and that's right at normal conversation value.
    I have one of those Porter Cable pancake compressors, and it's obscenely loud!

Good luck with your selection.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-09-2016 at 6:26 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I am yet to see someone with a problem of "my compressor is too large"
    It's way more common that you think....
    When I sold compressors, I'd run into that all the time.
    Granted, it's not as common as the reverse - having too small a compressor, but, it's still a common thing to run into.

I'm a huge believer in the small ultra portable class of compressors - the 1 to 3 gallon, 1/3 HP to 1 HP.
    They are perfect for those many times just a little bit of air is needed.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

One overlooked benefit of a 2 stage is the higher storage pressure provides a capacity storage buffer. You can run a tool for longer before the pump has to restart. 80 gallons of 150-175psi air is a lot more that the same 80 gallons at 100-110psi. since you almost never use tank pressure but regulate down to whatever the task requires, you effectively have more that the rated flow available for use, for a while anyway.

That can make a big difference in the units' ability to keep up with some tasks. A sandblast cabinet cleaning small items is one example. They use a lot of air, but starting with a full tank, you can blast for long time before the pump can no longer keep up. And, in my case, changing parts allows it to catch up and I can blast continuously.

Same holds true when finishing a bunch of cabinet doors.

Thanks, everyone for your input and comments. After waffling around between single and 2-stage and two smaller units combined vs one bigger unit, I think I'm close to pulling the handle on a new compressor. And frankly, I've surprised myself. Unless someone comes forward with a compelling argument for a different direction (or I find an older compressor for sale locally) in the next day or two, I'm going to order a Quincy QT-54. It's their bottom-of -the line for two stage models, with a 5HP Baldor motor turning an American-made compressor pump, and while at $1299it's not the cheapest 2-stage around, I think it's a better long-term investment. If I buy Quincy's maintenance kits (oil, filters, etc) the 1-year warranty becomes 2, and the pump warranty becomes 3 years. And hey, I'm gonna buy that stuff anyway, right?

So, anyone feel compelled to talk me out of the Quincy? I'm listening!

D.

I shaved my head.

I know a lot of guys who will talk you INTO buying a Quincy!

It sounds like a good plan to me.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Most compressors companies, Quincy, Champion, Curtis, have three levels. The lower levels are all pretty comparable and I'd likely take Quincy. The middle level will run about $500 more and the top level pressure lubed will add another 1000. The Quincy QR will be still higher but they are a better build. Saylor Beall in Michigan also makes a very good unit in the mid level splash series and slightly higher pressure lubed series. Dave

Thanks, everyone for your input and comments. After waffling around between single and 2-stage and two smaller units combined vs one bigger unit, I think I'm close to pulling the handle on a new compressor. And frankly, I've surprised myself. Unless someone comes forward with a compelling argument for a different direction (or I find an older compressor for sale locally) in the next day or two, I'm going to order a Quincy QT-54. It's their bottom-of -the line for two stage models, with a 5HP Baldor motor turning an American-made compressor pump, and while at $1299it's not the cheapest 2-stage around, I think it's a better long-term investment. If I buy Quincy's maintenance kits (oil, filters, etc) the 1-year warranty becomes 2, and the pump warranty becomes 3 years. And hey, I'm gonna buy that stuff anyway, right?

D.

Dont buy cheap tools...

Poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

D.
    Buy once cry once, good call...joe

I'm going to order a Quincy QT-54. It's their bottom-of -the line for two stage models, with a 5HP Baldor motor turning an American-made compressor pump, and while at $1299it's not the cheapest 2-stage around, I think it's a better long-term investment. If I buy Quincy's maintenance kits (oil, filters, etc) the 1-year warranty becomes 2, and the pump warranty becomes 3 years. And hey, I'm gonna buy that stuff anyway, right?

D.
    Dan

Quincy makes nice compressors.
    You're getting a winner.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Dan

Quincy makes nice compressors.
    You're getting a winner.

Yes they do.

I pulled the rope today!

D.

I shaved my head.