Thread: Stanley 12 1/2 question

Stanley 12 1/2 question

My father in law recently bought me a Stanley 12 1/2 scraper which is in great shape, but has no blade/scraper. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Was there a specific scraper for these, or are they meant to hold any old card scraper?

2. Should the scraper have a 45 degree bevel on it (like the #80) or a square, jointed edge like a card scraper?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    My father in law recently bought me a Stanley 12 1/2 scraper which is in great shape, but has no blade/scraper. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Was there a specific scraper for these, or are they meant to hold any old card scraper?

2. Should the scraper have a 45 degree bevel on it (like the #80) or a square, jointed edge like a card scraper?
    The 12-1/2 is basically a 12 with a rosewood sole screwed on, so any information you find for the 12 should be relevant to your situation. Note that there are two distinct generations with different blade widths (3" before 1925, 2-7/8" after).

The wide range of blade pitches (Leach cites 45-95 deg) means that it could be used with either a flat blade or one ground at 45 deg as in a cabinet scraper. You should probably choose based on how aggressively you want it to cut - the 45 deg configuration is more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    You should probably choose based on how aggressively you want it to cut - the 45 deg configuration is more aggressive.
    I had no idea that the 45 degree setup is more aggressive. I wonder why? I'm sure if I looked into the physics of it, I could come up with something. Would a 45 degree setup on a regular card scraper work? I've never tried it. Would it just be more aggresive?

I had no idea that the 45 degree setup is more aggressive. I wonder why? I'm sure if I looked into the physics of it, I could come up with something. Would a 45 degree setup on a regular card scraper work? I've never tried it. Would it just be more aggresive?
    You typically turn the hook through a much larger angle when preparing a 45 deg scraper. As an example, I tilt my burnisher by ~5 deg relative to the scraper edge when turning a burr on a right-angle scraper. I tilt it by ~30 deg when doing the same on a 45-deg scraper edge. In addition the 45 deg corner is easier to turn to begin with, so the net result is a larger, more aggressive burr.

I have the Keen Kutter version of this scraper. I flattened the back and honed a 45 Degree angle on the blade the same as if I was sharpening a plane iron. I turned my hook after that. It's wicked sharp and very effective. I have a number of scrapers and this one is probably the best performer of the lot.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Sorry about the double-reply, but answering the other part of your question: Yes, a 45-deg based edge with a large hook should be just as aggressive on an ordinary card scraper, but I suspect it would be unmanageable due to high cutting forces. You really want something with a sole (to resist rotation - you're pushing from above the cutting edge, so you need to apply a fair bit of torque to keep the scraper upright) and handles (to avoid dig-in) if you're going to push that hard.

You can of course put a small hook on a 45 deg edge by using really light burnishing pressure, but that sort of defeats the point.

I have a no.12 and I sharpen following Veritas technique. Works great.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,310&p=48431

Normand

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    I have a no.12 and I sharpen following Veritas technique. Works great.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,310&p=48431

Normand
    Thanks for posting that. It's the first time I've seen it. Coincidentally, that's the same process I use.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Card scrapers are usually too thin for use in a scraper plane like the 12 1/2. Keep in mind that the 12 1/2 needs a deeper blade then the #12 does because of the wooden sole.